sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2019 7:20 am  #1

Teenagers are wreaking havoc for the radio business, they have clout!

Country radio stations met this week south of the border and in one of the talks/seminars experts warned that if you are a programmer or owner of a radio station, you cannot ignore teenagers.

They are influencing how their parents consume content (be it music, or talk or entertainment) and are pulling them away from traditional media like radio...

Here is more on the story and those dreaded teenagers (sheesh, kids today) (smiling).

https://radioink.com/2019/02/14/teens-are-trouble-for-radio/

It is an interesting read and what do you think radio stations in Canada have to do in order to keep relevant and in the top of mind when it comes to keeping and attracting listeners?

Chime away! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 15, 2019 7:53 am  #2

Re: Teenagers are wreaking havoc for the radio business, they have clout!

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

experts warned that if you are a programmer or owner of a radio station, you cannot ignore teenagers 

Don't trust anyone over thirty, particularly "experts"

February 15, 2019 10:11 am  #3

And, don't trust anyone who wears a watch. Oh, wait. No one wears a watch anymore. 

February 15, 2019 5:17 pm  #4

It is 100% easy to be pulled away from mediocre, half-assed, inferior and sub-standard.  And ever-so-many 'stations' qualify in this specific area of concern.  The days of 'Harvey Weinsteining' the dog are over.  The listening audience has had way more than enough...of nowhere near enough.

February 15, 2019 6:01 pm  #5

It's been years since I was a teenager. I'm 78. Almost all of my music listening takes place in the car.

While driving...

-- Don't listen to the available Sirius radio. Not a subscriber. Sound quality still not very good.

-- Occasionally listen to JAZZ.FM 91.

-- Occasionally listen to a CD. We have a bunch of those suckers.

-- Bulk of car tuning is 476 iTunes on shuffle. Doesn't matter what song is next, I love it.

February 15, 2019 6:17 pm  #6

mike marshall wrote:

While driving...

-- Don't listen to the available Sirius radio. Not a subscriber. Sound quality still not very good.

I had an external Sirius tuner for a while and found the same thing - it sounded 'tinny', like a shitty mp3.

February 16, 2019 1:26 am  #7

if i'm in the car and i want to listen to music (or a podcast i produce) i listen to a premium version of spotify (my daughter has me down as an additional listener on her spotify account). note: i may be old but i'm not chea... wait a minute... i am cheap!... and yes, the podcast creates revenue for me... (repeat cheap comment here).

February 16, 2019 8:42 am  #8

Lee Marshall wrote:

It is 100% easy to be pulled away from mediocre, half-assed, inferior and sub-standard.  And ever-so-many 'stations' qualify in this specific area

In the immortal words of the late, great Buddy Holly:   "I guess it doesn't matter anymore"