sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2019 1:30 am  #1

Never Mind Fake News. What About Taped News?

I've always been convinced that some of Global's weather forecasts on their noon and late news were taped. There's banter between the anchor and the weather guy or gal and then a pause as they roll the pre-tape. (The fact that there's no current time on their supposedly up-to-the-minute live radar is a dead giveaway.)

I suppose it's not really an issue as long as the forecast is right and taped close to airtime. (If the weather person is there, why not just air it live to begin with?) But to do it with sports makes absolutely no sense. And so it was that I was watching Global's 11 PM package on Sunday night when they threw to sports. Up popped Megan Robinson, whose first story was about the Leafs.

It featured highlights from Saturday night's game against Montreal, followed immediately by a graphic informing viewers that the Leafs were playing Sunday night in New York, and that the puck dropped at 7 PM. Only problem was it was 11:20 and that game was over, with Toronto losing 4-1.

Clearly they ran the 6 PM tape by mistake and it was obviously dated. My question is why would they pre-tape something that is obviously time sensitive, especially when there's a margin for error, such as what happened on Sunday night? If you're going to ostensibly do a live newscast, then those segments need to be live as well, especially when it comes to updating ongoing or recently finished games.

I rarely watch Global and this does nothing too make me want to tune in again.

Still, they're not the only ones. CFRB, once known as Ontario's Authoritative News Voice, has pre-recorded news after about 6 o'clock on the weekends. That means anything that happens after that simply doesn't get reported until the next day.

I get the fact there are cutbacks, but you can't pre-tape news - sometimes hours in advance - and expect anyone to trust you as a credible source.

February 11, 2019 1:54 am  #2

Re: Never Mind Fake News. What About Taped News?

I have long suspected this practice. Especially where there is no time or temperature given. I think it is pretty shoddy too.
Perhaps they should run an announcement ahead of the newscast saying something like "here's a replay of our last newscast which occurred at 6:00 pm." Doubt this will ever happen.

February 11, 2019 1:26 pm  #3

To my understanding, The Canadian Press newscasts have been pre-recorded for some time. They are recorded about a quarter-to-the-hour for presentation on the hour. The problem arises during the sportscasts, when they might say a game is in progress when in fact it is over. Also, a major late-breaking story in that "shadow" period been 45.00 and 00.00 would have to wait until until the next hour.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 11, 2019 1:48 pm  #4

Dale Patterson wrote:

To my understanding, The Canadian Press newscasts have been pre-recorded for some time. They are recorded about a quarter-to-the-hour for presentation on the hour. The problem arises during the sportscasts, when they might say a game is in progress when in fact it is over. Also, a major late-breaking story in that "shadow" period been 45.00 and 00.00 would have to wait until until the next hour.

That's true. But I believe it has something to with their distribution system to ensure it's in subscriber stations' computer systems in time for it to play at the top of the hour. And that's why they often don't give any still-in-play sports scores during the newscast.  

Were you there when they were still on satellite delivery Dale? How did it work back then?

February 11, 2019 3:48 pm  #5

Actually, I heard they didn't want to pay satellite fees.

The delay system led to a problem in 2015 when American Triumph won the Triple Crown - arguably the biggest sports story of the year - during that shadow period but the story went unreported until the next cast.

They were live-to-air when I left in 2010.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram