sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2019 9:16 am  #31

Re: Y'know, Y'know?

Totally like whatever, you know?

February 19, 2019 12:19 pm  #32

Joyce Napier has been around long enough to know better, with a long and storied career on CBC and CTV.

Her interaction with Ken Shaw, on today's CTV Toronto noon news, included at least five instances of "sort of", all within about three minutes.

Is the reporting so tenuous that inserting "sort of" in almost every sentence is deemed necessary? This is but another example of the creeping Americanization of our language. You can "go ahead and" take that to the bank, my friends.

February 19, 2019 1:26 pm  #33

I remember Bynon had a habit of sighing deeply and sing-songing "I don't know..." when she had no clue what she was talking about.

February 20, 2019 12:27 am  #34

splunge wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Y'know, listening to the radio on Monday, I really noticed every. single. vocal. hiccup.

Thanks to QI, i know there's something called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.  The theory states that once you stumble upon a new word, and that word appears in later conversations, you tend to believe you're hearing it everywhere.

This was made for a radio style riff: the "Badder and Worst Awards"*, for on-air talent that finds it impossible to stop dropping these placeholders/catch phrases multiple times in a single paragraph/sentence.

I had a brief love affair with the word " uh " during my first few months on-air, and it took one meeting with my PD, (something that used to be called an aircheck meeting), and within the week I stopped using it, so I understand the slippery slope/comfort of pet words.

It's not rocket science, or brain surgery, and why certain otherwise terrific radio hosts don't catch and somewhat limit themselves, is a mystery.🤔

*'72 Summit Series (Hockey) inspired/swiped from obvs

Last edited by betaylored (February 20, 2019 12:52 am)

February 20, 2019 2:59 pm  #35

Would it be inappropriate to note John "Yadda Yadda Yadda" Oakley?

February 28, 2019 10:27 am  #36

If you want a classic example of 'Y'know' overkill, tune in to 640 this morning up until noon.  Fill-in host Edward Keenan is on a 'Y'know' bender!  If this was a drinking game, GTA Emergencies would by inundated with staggering drunks!

March 1, 2019 1:44 am  #37

Y'know what word has been added to the overkill list? "unpack"

Ever since the SNC Unravelin' scandal began, "unpack" is the new favorite word for many radio hosts to use to tell listeners that they're about to get the Coles Notes background and then the latest developments...

Overuse weakens "unpack", which isn't a particularly strong word. Radio hosts grab a Thesaurus, and pack it in please.

March 1, 2019 2:20 am  #38

betaylored wrote:

Y'know what word has been added to the overkill list? "unpack"

Ever since the SNC Unravelin' scandal began, "unpack" is the new favorite word for many radio hosts to use to tell listeners that they're about to get the Coles Notes background and then the latest developments...

Overuse weakens "unpack", which isn't a particularly strong word. Radio hosts grab a Thesaurus, and pack it in please.

very true.  "unpack" is also a tad condescending as well.  like the facts themselves are too confusing for the unwashed masses to understand on their own.

March 1, 2019 6:26 am  #39

Chrisphen wrote:

Would it be inappropriate to note John "Yadda Yadda Yadda" Oakley?

Yes