sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2019 10:07 am  #31

Re: CKNT

Let's keep the focus on CKNT.  They need our help

February 12, 2019 12:27 pm  #32

grilled.cheese wrote:

Let's keep the focus on CKNT.  They need our help

They are beyond help.

February 12, 2019 12:33 pm  #33

Listened in today and yesterday. They more or less have the same line up while in transition. Mike Richards, Marco Patrone, Norm Murray, Barry Davis, etc. Norm's cohost is gone (she didn't have great input anyways and a no name really) and Bullard's show is gone. I didn't think he was coming back and I couldn't stand the news girl (Tara I think?) and guy who took over in the interim but again, they were nobodies in regards to reputation.

Looks like the other station focused on keeping the big names involved. I would like to see Jodie Decker come back. Maybe she had beef with Whitaker too? I really enjoyed her personality and they clearly have room for improvement.

February 12, 2019 3:35 pm  #34

i think hosts making around 200 or 300 a so a week.  newspeople maybe 15.00/hour.  Same with producers.  Yet no will pay them!

Last edited by voiceoverexpress (February 12, 2019 3:42 pm)

February 12, 2019 3:42 pm  #35

voiceoverexpress wrote:

Hosts making around 250 or so a week.  newspeople i think 14.00/hour.  Same with producers.  Yet no boss willing to pay.

This is total speculation on my part so take it for what it is. But I've often wondered if some of the more experienced radio people who toiled (past tense now!) at CKNT for next to no pay were doing it as sort of a daily audition tape that they could point a bigger station to, in order to show what they'd get if they hired them.

Also, better to be on the air with a job while you're looking for another gig than sitting home waiting for the cell phone to ring.

February 12, 2019 3:44 pm  #36

RadioActive - current owners refusing giving copies of work for demo. they leave with zero.

February 12, 2019 3:47 pm  #37

Their broadcasts are going out over the radio (sort of) and online. They can create their own recordings very easily.

February 12, 2019 3:55 pm  #38

RadioAaron wrote:

Their broadcasts are going out over the radio (sort of) and online. They can create their own recordings very easily.

Exactly. Want to hear my work? Tune in any weekday from 3-7 PM. There's my audition. As I noted, total speculation on my part, but given all the problems, it would certainly explain why a pro like, say, Bruce Marshall might toil there after being out of the biz for a while.

And after what he went through, there's no doubt Bullard needed to get back in the game somehow. A small and obscure station was a perfect place to do it.

February 12, 2019 3:58 pm  #39

are they replaying old broadcasts?

February 12, 2019 4:39 pm  #40

First and foremost, I extend my regards to all of the current and former employees of 960 who are caught up in this mess.

My questions is in regards to ownership of CKNT...

From initial application, thru the numerous extensions of build, approval of transmitter parameter changes, to the final debut on air, the owner/principal has been identified as Elliot Kerr.  I then recall mention being made on this board about owner/management changes being made at CKNT in October (iirc). Yesterday, VO Express mentions that Whitaker is one of the part owners, as well as third owner in Etobicoke.

So, it appears that there are three (or perhaps more) owners of CKNT 960.  If additional owners or partners/investors are being brought in, does it not have to go before the CRTC for approval?  I don't recall reading or hearing about any changes to corporate ownership of this station, although it is possible that there was an approval, and I just missed it.

February 12, 2019 4:48 pm  #41

Glen Warren wrote:

First and foremost, I extend my regards to all of the current and former employees of 960 who are caught up in this mess.

My questions is in regards to ownership of CKNT...

From initial application, thru the numerous extensions of build, approval of transmitter parameter changes, to the final debut on air, the owner/principal has been identified as Elliot Kerr.  I then recall mention being made on this board about owner/management changes being made at CKNT in October (iirc). Yesterday, VO Express mentions that Whitaker is one of the part owners, as well as third owner in Etobicoke.

So, it appears that there are three (or perhaps more) owners of CKNT 960.  If additional owners or partners/investors are being brought in, does it not have to go before the CRTC for approval?  I don't recall reading or hearing about any changes to corporate ownership of this station, although it is possible that there was an approval, and I just missed it.

The CRTC only requires that it be notified if a new shareholder enters the agreement under 50% of voting shares.  CRTC Approval is necessary only when effective control (50.1%+) passes to a new shareholder.  So as long as Kerr maintains effective control, then there would be no announcement made.

February 13, 2019 1:14 pm  #42

Since they don't get paid much, if at all, I speculate that the hosts make money based on commercial spots they sell? I assume if they don't get sponsorships/partners, they won't make as much money as the hosts who do.

I see that VOexpress stated that Mike Richards has his own sales team and I have heard him mention a sponsor on air. This leads me to believe that the shows are all self contained and the hosts themselves are responsible for their own income, almost like commission-based business, yes? If you don't sell the product, you don't make money.

February 13, 2019 1:52 pm  #43

Chuck99 wrote:

It might be the biggest train wreck since the Mississauga train derailment of 1979.  

My vote for comment of the week. And it's only Wednesday!

February 13, 2019 2:59 pm  #44

Not even Hazel McCallion can fix this one! 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 13, 2019 3:55 pm  #45

How much longer can they stay on the air?

VoiceOver Express mentions that the studio in Port Credit has been locked up twice for non-payment of rent.

What about the transmitter site?...  probably the largest capital equipment and engineering cost that they have incurred, as well as rent for the site, and operating costs (electrical, broadband utilities, insurance - whats that?)...

Does anyone know, and can comment on who the "Etobicoke" owner is?  curious....

February 13, 2019 7:07 pm  #46

Chuck99 wrote:

splunge wrote:

WilliamT wrote:

Its sad this board talks about CKNT. Nothing to see here. She's a 4 out of 10 and won't be a 10 until 4.

As Saul said,  BECAUSE CKNT is such a trainwreck is exactly why we're so glued to the situation.

It might be the biggest train wreck since the Mississauga train derailment of 1979.  

If there was a train derailment today would CKNT cover it any better than CJMR did in 1979?  Does anybody who lives near Mavis and Dundas know that they have a local station on 960?

February 14, 2019 8:24 am  #47

I was listening to "Raw" Michael Richards this morning.  He was giving out a phone number, 416-640-0200.

Google lists the phone belonging to Sur Saagar Radio, 130 Westmore Dr in Etobicoke. 

http://i68.tinypic.com/dr6sck.jpg

February 14, 2019 10:40 am  #48

What a strange, strange radio station. Consider:

-The banner on their website lists "Marc Patrone" as being on air as I type this, but their program listing calls him "Marco," a moniker he doesn't use on air. While technically it's not incorrect, you'd think they'd pick one or the other. 

-They played at least 3 clips from a CTV interview Thursday while discussing the ongoing SNC-Lavalin scandal involving the federal Liberals. All the excerpts were off mic and echo-y, and sounded like they'd been recorded with a cellphone being put near a speaker. I'm 1,000% sure they didn't go out over CTV sounding that way. 

-On the plus side (and I can't say for sure it's never happened before) I actually heard them take a call from a listener. It's the first time I've ever heard this on this station, despite repeatedly giving out the number to call. So somebody besides me was listening!

And for those here who think there's way too much attention given to CKNT on SOWNY, you're probably right.

But there's something undeniably fascinating about keeping track of a station that took seven years to get on air, turns over staff like flipping a pancake, gets shut out of its own studios, has a newsguy who does his entire cast over the phone and not on mic, loses its afternoon drive show just months after it started and just generally sounds terrible.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: It's like a traffic accident. You don't want to look (or in this case, listen) but you simply can't turn away. And the fact that this thread has attracted more than 4,000 page views is proof of that.

February 14, 2019 12:08 pm  #49

grilled.cheese wrote:

I was listening to "Raw" Michael Richards this morning.  He was giving out a phone number, 416-640-0200.

Google lists the phone belonging to Sur Saagar Radio, 130 Westmore Dr in Etobicoke. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/130+Westmore+Dr,+Etobicoke,+ON+M9V+3Y6/@43.7357574,-79.602368,3a,75y,73.71h,85.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_fzszNSSsgY-uxGhouUqGQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x882b3a557fd1b7ef:0x83b4ddaa1b8352a0!8m2!3d43.7358832!4d-79.6023923  

Third world Radio CKNT.

February 14, 2019 12:15 pm  #50

Its definitely an interesting topic! Theres nothing else going on in radio besides Jazz Fm 91 so this is a good one to follow.

Will the CRTC not intervene in these issues? 

February 14, 2019 1:09 pm  #51

The CRTC would not "intervene" unless there was a complaint and that complaint would have to be based on:
1. change of effective control - i.e. Elliott Kerr  dropped below 51% and did not file notifications or in the case of change of control, an application for change;
2. If there was some significant complaint regarding failure to abide by the conditions  of licence. My recollection is that they are just subject to the "standard" COLs.  Only CCD expenditure and an 'expectation not to solicit advertising in Oakville, Brampton, or Toronto.  Violations of expectations are usually dealt with by way of complaints from incumbent broadcasters in those areas.
How the station "sounds" and whether it pays its rent, are none of the CRTC's concern.  It would only become involved if there was a filing of the company under the CCAA or Bankruptcy Act, in both of those cases, the CRTC would be advised of the appointment of a receiver or a receiver manager.  There have been cases where the CRTC has actually approved the appointment where there was a long-term operation of the station by the receiver manager.  That may have been the case at one time with respect to CHSC, before it wound in the hands of Domenic Pellegrino and Henry Gertler.

Complaints about programming failing to adhere to broadcast codes - ie. vulgar language, - go directly to the CBSC and the CRTC washes its hands of the process.

Basically broadcasters are allowed to fail, without gov't intervention.   Come renewal time, that might be a different story if anyone bothered to intervene and disclose to the CRTC the failings...but it's really rare when there is a non-renewal, no matter now inept the licensee has been.   I can only recall under a dozen revocations or non-renewals, and those have been for significant regulatory infractions - failure to comply with broadcast regulations or specific conditions of licence - not filing annual reports, failure to pay Canadian Content Development, etc.  Perhaps the Quebec City case "King Andre Arthur" is a bit different because of "shock jock" hate speech.   

Conditions of licence1.      The licence shall be subject to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009.2.      In addition to the required basic annual contribution to Canadian content development (CCD) set out in section 15 of the Radio Regulations, 1986(the Regulations), as amended from time to time, the licensee shall make a contribution of $94,775 to CCD, to be allocated as follows over seven consecutive broadcast years upon commencement of operations: $5,000 in year one, $2,434 in year two, $2,147 in year three, $3,694 in year four, $16,250 in year five, $23,583 in year six and $41,667 in year seven.Each broadcast year, the licensee shall allocate no less than 20% of its CCD contribution that is over than above that set out in section 15 of the Regulations to FACTOR or MUSICACTION. The remaining amounts of this additional CCD contribution shall be allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006.ExpectationThe Commission expects the licensee to adhere to its commitment to not direct marketing activities to Toronto, Brampton or Oakville.

February 14, 2019 1:39 pm  #52

RadioActive wrote:

What a strange, strange radio station. Consider:

-The banner on their website lists "Marc Patrone" as being on air as I type this, but their program listing calls him "Marco," a moniker he doesn't use on air. While technically it's not incorrect, you'd think they'd pick one or the other. 

-They played at least 3 clips from a CTV interview Thursday while discussing the ongoing SNC-Lavalin scandal involving the federal Liberals. All the excerpts were off mic and echo-y, and sounded like they'd been recorded with a cellphone being put near a speaker. I'm 1,000% sure they didn't go out over CTV sounding that way. 

-On the plus side (and I can't say for sure it's never happened before) I actually heard them take a call from a listener. It's the first time I've ever heard this on this station, despite repeatedly giving out the number to call. So somebody besides me was listening!

And for those here who think there's way too much attention given to CKNT on SOWNY, you're probably right.

But there's something undeniably fascinating about keeping track of a station that took seven years to get on air, turns over staff like flipping a pancake, gets shut out of its own studios, has a newsguy who does his entire cast over the phone and not on mic, loses its afternoon drive show just months after it started and just generally sounds terrible.

I've said it before but it bears repeating: It's like a traffic accident. You don't want to look (or in this case, listen) but you simply can't turn away. And the fact that this thread has attracted more than 4,000 page views is proof of that.

I heard one of those cell-phone newscasts yesterday. A tin can and a string might have sounded better.

"The radio craze ... will soon fade." - Thomas Edison, 1922

February 14, 2019 2:32 pm  #53

I caught a cell phone news sometime this week around 1815.

February 14, 2019 3:19 pm  #54

Found the Mike Richards show replay podcast on iTunes, if anyone was interested.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/raw-mike-richards-newstalk-sauga-960am/id1449175466?mt=2

February 14, 2019 4:50 pm  #55

According to the real estate office next door to the Port Credit studio, it is "highly unlikely" that the studio will re-open.

https://www.facebook.com/Sauga960AM/photos/a.275713829713688/321848698433534/?type=3&theater

Last edited by Glen Warren (February 14, 2019 4:51 pm)

February 14, 2019 5:16 pm  #56

Indeed, it appears they're having problems. Check out this post left on their Facebook page back on Jan. 8th.

Ouch!

February 14, 2019 8:28 pm  #57

The station is beyond range for me to monitor, what kind of commercial load are they carrying? If they're not broadcasting commercials what is the source of revenue? Maybe they were running with few ads until business picked up, but sooner or later you have to make some money. (Unless you're the CBC).

February 14, 2019 8:35 pm  #58

darcyh wrote:

The station is beyond range for me to monitor....

https://sauga960am.ca/

February 14, 2019 8:46 pm  #59

darcyh wrote:

The station is beyond range for me to monitor, what kind of commercial load are they carrying? If they're not broadcasting commercials what is the source of revenue? Maybe they were running with few ads until business picked up, but sooner or later you have to make some money. (Unless you're the CBC).

From what I recall, they have (or at least had - haven't heard their spots in a while) a local real estate agent, a car dealer and of course, station owner Elliott Kerr's Mississauga Steelheads of the OHL, the real reason I suspect he wanted this licence in the first place.

Otherwise, the rest are almost all PSAs. Doesn't sound like enough to keep it going to me, but from what I understand, Kerr is fairly wealthy and might be backing it until the money comes in.

If it comes in.

February 15, 2019 10:36 am  #60

grilled.cheese wrote:

Sur Sagar and Mr. Pannu have had "dealings" with CRTC

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2016/2016-421.pdf