sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2019 12:14 pm  #1

Stingray fires 14 - syndicates morning shows in Alberta - who's next?

From Broadcast Dialogue

Stingray has moved to syndicate the morning shows across its Real Country and boom-branded radio stations in rural Alberta, leading to the elimination of 14 on-air positions. The Real Wake Up with Vinnie & Randi, which originates from Real Country 95.5 (CKGY-FM) Red Deer, launched on 15 stations Monday, including Real Country 93.3 (CKSQ-FM) Stettler; Real Country 105.7 (CIBQ-FM) Brooks; Real Country 94.9 (CJPR-FM) Blairmore; Real Country 910 (CKDQ-AM) Drumheller; Real Country 97.7 (CHSP-FM) St. Paul; Real Country 97.9 (CKWB-FM) Westlock; Real Country 93.5 (CKVH-FM) High Prairie; and adult hits stations boom 101.1 (CIXF-FM) Brooks; boom 92.7 (CHSL-FM) Slave Lake; boom 96.7 (CFXW-FM) Whitecourt; boom 104.9 (CFHI-FM) Hinton; boom 101.9 (CKKY-FM) Wainwright; boom 103.5 (CILB-FM) Lac La Biche; boom 94.1 (CKBA-FM) Athabasca; and boom 95.3 (CJXK-FM) Cold Lake. Dalen said the local news, as well as local breaks, are still being done by an announcer in each market, who will then host from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Additionally, the stations will have local voice tracking on the weekends. Stingray is also expanding the footprint of the Katie & Ed morning show, out of 90.3 AMP Radio (CKMP-FM) Calgary, which will now be heard on Hot AC stations Kool FM (CJEG-FM) Bonnyville and Wayne FM (CKWY-FM) Wainwright.

Last edited by Johnny B (January 24, 2019 12:15 pm)

January 24, 2019 1:39 pm  #2

Re: Stingray fires 14 - syndicates morning shows in Alberta - who's next?

Really hope they dont touch Stu Jeffries.  

January 24, 2019 1:54 pm  #3

markow202 wrote:

Really hope they dont touch Stu Jeffries.  

Not a chance! Single person morning show bringing in big ratings and big dollars.

January 24, 2019 4:30 pm  #4

Chuck99 wrote:

The affected stations are in very small markets in Alberta and are likely financially in the red or barely in the black.  Boom 97.3 is doing well ratings-wise in the biggest radio market in Canada.  To compare it with the Alberta stations is like comparing apples to oranges.

While that may be true, I can also argue that maybe they are also trying to free up some money to spend top dollar on new morning shows over at their new Breeze fm's to better compete in those markets... 
(perhaps some well known radio talent from each market respectively)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 24, 2019 7:06 pm  #5

Chuck99 wrote:

Yes, it is possible that we may have a right pocket, left pocket scenario here.  The money may very well be going to the Breeze stations, one of which is in the same geographical area, Edmonton.  Its just I doubt that the cuts in Alberta will lead to cuts at Boom 97.3 when it is doing so well in the ratings.

I agree Stu should be safe, but what the heck is going on down the dial over at 93five? 
There is room there for sudden change... 

January 24, 2019 8:48 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Chuck99 wrote:

I agree Stu should be safe, but what the heck is going on down the dial over at 93five? 
There is room there for sudden change... 

If they are looking to put the Breeze brand in Toronto 93.5 would be the dial position to put it on.

January 24, 2019 10:12 pm  #7

I think it's worth noting that there's no reason to believe anything written on Pugetsoundradio. The contributors are unconnected hobbyists who tend to invent rumours and then report on them as though it's all inside industry buzz. 

January 24, 2019 11:21 pm  #8

Their whole "Insiders tell us Bell won't be renewing the Virgin Radio branding, and all the stations will be changing formats" line they've been pushing for almost two years is all you need to know about them.

Even on a smaller scale, there was almost nothing factual about their post about the Bell stations Kingston.

Even with the 93.5 stuff...if presented as "opinion", there's no reason to attach any value to that opinion. There's a ton of speculation posted on these boards, but that one presents it with completely undeserved autority. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 24, 2019 11:31 pm)

January 25, 2019 12:59 am  #9

Chuck99 wrote:

93.5 is languishing in the ratings and its parent company has started the Breeze format in a few markets, so I think it is perfectly logical for people to think that the Toronto station might adopt the new format in an effort to improve listenership.

I have to slide just outside the Toronto market in asking one simple question: 
If Toronto could get a Breeze FM @ 93.5, wouldn't that take a bite out of the Jewel 88five audience? 
Or is it indeed some sort of threat to CHFI? (somehow?) 

January 25, 2019 3:56 am  #10

According to Numeris ratings from Fall 2018, Jewel 88.5 has registered a not-so-high 2.0 ratings, and only a daily cume of 96,800 listeners, second lowest behind TSN 1050. Therefore it's totally negligent for 93.5 to take a bite on Jewel 88.5. CHFI is also quite untouchable, as it always had for a long time. I think Stingray has to stick to the hip-hop format on 93.5 for a while, and all they can do right now is to take reference to the major hip-hop stations in US to see how they gain success in ratings.