sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2019 8:39 pm  #1

The "Disc Jockey Thesaurus" Tries To Sum Up The Job

I have to confess I've never heard of the website "Writers Helping Writers" until I accidentally stumbled on this bizarre "Occupation Thesaurus" about what a disc jockey does. After explaining the basics, in what I assume is supposed to be a reference guide for writers looking to know more about a potential character, it goes on to explain what might be "negative character traits" in someone who does this for living, including:

"Confrontational, gossipy, manipulative, melodramatic, mischievous, nosy, pushy, workaholic."

That just about sums many of the announcers I've ever known!
 (And those were some of their best traits!)

But wait, it gets worse. Here's the list under the category of "sources of friction." 

"Out-of-touch members of management who want something for the show that the DJ disagrees with, budget cuts, outdated equipment, integration of new technology the DJ is unfamiliar with, saying something on-air that gets one in trouble with the bosses, saying something troublesome when one thought one wasn’t on-air, being required to do things one isn’t comfortable doing (sales, promotion, in-person events, etc.)

"An interviewee who turns argumentative or combative, an interview or segment falling flat, pitching an idea that the executives aren’t interested in, difficult work hours (particular at the start of one’s career) messing with one’s schedule and making it difficult to connect with others, negative public opinion being brought to bear on the station due to one’s personal beliefs coming through on-air.

"Physical ailments that threaten one’s career (a chronic illness that changes one’s voice, vocal nodules, throat or mouth cancer, etc.), being censored, other positions being eliminated that result in one having to take on unwanted duties, stalkers, and overly zealous fans."

I'm not sure what to make of all this, but I hope to read the finished product for those who base their future characters on whoever this is supposed to be. 

The Disc Jockey Thesaurus

January 19, 2019 11:31 pm  #2

Re: The "Disc Jockey Thesaurus" Tries To Sum Up The Job

Awesome video. Two of my all time favorites, Kevin Mathews and Phil Hendrie at work. Thanks for posting. 

January 22, 2019 1:51 pm  #3

Re: The "Disc Jockey Thesaurus" Tries To Sum Up The Job

mic'em wrote:

Awesome video. Two of my all time favorites, Kevin Mathews and Phil Hendrie at work. Thanks for posting. 

You can listen to Phil Hendrie online here.