sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2019 6:49 pm  #1

Will this work in Canada?

Secret Free TV Signal Through Internet with NO Cable Subscription or Equipment

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 15, 2019 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Will this work in Canada?

It used to, when digital cable was relatively new. It doesn't work anymore; 99% of channels can only be decoded by the supplied STBs.

January 16, 2019 8:51 am  #3

"RadioAaron" is correct, at least when it comes to urban areas where the systems have gone ALL digital.

If you want, try just disconnecting your cable directly to your TV and set to SCAN the channels to see what you get, you may hit something, if not just the AM/FM channels that are deleviered for 'free'.

I you ever received a letter/flyer from from your cable provider telling you they were going to (slowly) discontinue analog service and that you would require a free converetre, such as may be seen below, then NO - there is no free TV service if you are just subscribing to their Internet offering.

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDQ5WDgwMA==/z/qdkAAOSwKV9cO4jA/$_59.JPG[/img]
Before these came into effect the cable co's would install notch traps somewhere out of the customers' reach that would filter out and allow the lower frequency band on which was carried the internet service only, blocking out the TV signal bands, 

Last edited by DeepTracks (January 16, 2019 8:54 am)

January 16, 2019 10:01 pm  #4

When Rogers first launched digital cable, but before any HD was offered, a friend of mine had a rare SD 4:3 TV with a digital tuner. EVERYTHING was wide open...every movie/PPV channel...everything. Lasted almost two years like that.