sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2019 7:00 pm  #1

TV Weatherman Fired For Racial Slur. But Was He Just Tongue Tied?

There is a huge story happening in Rochester, N.Y. that has the entire city up in arms. It started when a WHEC Channel 10 weatherman was reading a story about an event in Martin Luther King Jr. Park in that city. But unfortunately, he didn't exactly say it that way.

After viewers heard this unfortunate utterance, Jeremy Kappell was immediately fired by the station, despite his insistence that he was simply tongue tied at the time. And if you listen to the clip, despite the bad audio, it does seem like he just stumbled into a massive mispronunciation. Whether you believe that or not, the you-know-what-hit the fan and it's now become a cause celebre in that city, with even competing stations taking up the story.

Kappell, who otherwise had a stellar rep, insists it's all a misunderstanding and that he didn't say or mean to say what came out, asking 'who in their right mind would deliberately kill a career by doing this?' He makes a point. But in this often overly sensitive world, he walked the plank anyway. 

I'm not sure if justice has been done, but it will probably be a very long time before he gets a second chance, even in another market. Have a listen and see what you think he said.

WHEC apologizes to viewers after firing meteorologist Jeremy Kappell for racial slur

January 8, 2019 7:44 pm  #2

Re: TV Weatherman Fired For Racial Slur. But Was He Just Tongue Tied?

Yikes...not a good call by the station management...I didn't hear anything onerous...

Thanks for posting RA...happy new year man!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 8, 2019 7:47 pm  #3

Politically correct is a KILLER.  And I'm a liberal if not further left.  Many of my best friends/people I'm absolutely closest to are Jamaican, of French origin or are First Nation.  Immigrants rank well up into the equation as well as 'new' [the last 170 years] Canadians.  In other words I don't give a ''flyer'.  People are people if you give 'em a chance.  We all want the same thing outta life.  We're all the same, 'cept for Habs fans.  This guy got dinged.

Geez.  In a big city like T.O. I woulda thought that most people would have experienced something posiitve about their neighbours and not just followed the headlines about the less than representative bad apples.  We all have our bad apples don't we.

January 9, 2019 4:32 pm  #4

I have an important question. 
Would he have been allowed to simply say "MLK Junior park" in the first place? Or would there still be some offence taken for not saying the name in full?
It still sounds to me like an honest mistake, regardless.

Unlike this guy, who should have known the mic is ALWAYS on...

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 9, 2019 4:32 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.