sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2018 10:09 pm  #1

Classic Top 40 & TV Theme Hitmaker Dies At 91

You may not know the name Norman Gimbel, but you almost certainly have heard his work. And I thought it was appropriate to mention him here. The award winning lyricist died earlier this month at the age of 91. And whether you know it or not, you've probably sung along to his words. 

He wrote "Killing Me Softly With His Song" for Roberta Flack. And he penned the words to Jim Croce's final hit, "I Got A Name." But he also was the guy behind the words to the Happy Days theme, the Laverne & Shirley theme (released as a single by Cyndi Grecco) and countless others.

And he wrote the English lyrics to the famous tracks "The Girl From Ipanema," and Little Peggy March's classic "I Will Follow Him."

And that's just a small list, more of which are highlighted here.

The Songs of Norman Gimbel 

December 29, 2018 10:34 pm  #2

Re: Classic Top 40 & TV Theme Hitmaker Dies At 91

Thank you RA.
Was not familiar with this gentleman but what a talent!
A good long life indeed.
Since the Oldies Radio thread is such a big hit here I invite our music buffs to examine this gents work.
It is both extensive & impressive.
Two things I noticed.
Petula Clark was first to record "I Will Follow Him" in english in 1963 but I've never ever heard her version.
Little Peggy March has the "go-to" 45 for that one - recorded a few months after Ms. Clark.
Not very often Petula Clark took 2nd place to anyone.
And Mr. Gimbel wrote the english words to "Canadian Sunset'- an absolute timeless GEM.  
Check out the extensive lists provided by RA.
A-mazing

December 30, 2018 2:39 am  #3

I knew that ... really, hi. Google searched him after Peggy March came to Port Huron this spring, knowing that "I Will Follow Him" was originally a French song w French lyrics, as "Chariot."

December 30, 2018 12:43 pm  #4

There's quite a story on the history of Killing Me Softly With His Song. (Finally, the years of writing all those Foreground music bits at CHFI is paying off. ;-)

Lori Lieberman was (no pun intended) instrumental in its concept. Also the first to record it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Me_Softly_with_His_Song