sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2018 8:17 am  #1

Washington Post reports that Limbaugh and Coulter are guiding Trump

Interesting story on the impact that Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter have on the "Hard Right" in the U.S. and on Trump's actions or inactions...it's like they are edging him on and taunting him into taking actions, that might not have the best interests for all Americans at the centre of it.

Here is more on this story from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/22/this-is-tyranny-talk-radio-hosts-right-limbaugh-coulter-blamed-trumps-shutdown/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.bc021d722010

My question is this, who in radio or television in Canada carries this kind of clout? I can't think of one media personality who does.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 26, 2018 10:09 am  #2

Re: Washington Post reports that Limbaugh and Coulter are guiding Trump

Well, even if you believe this is true, I can't conceive of anything similar happening in Canada. No one on Canadian radio has that kind of power and even if they did, this is totally a unique situation. In the end, it's more because of the kind of person Trump is than the radio hosts themselves. He has a reputation for acting on the opinion of the last person who praised him while ignoring those in the know. And that's why it's such a mess down there.  

I can't think of a single politician here who would be influenced by something someone says on the radio. Plus, we have no one like a Rush or a Coulter in this country so it would be very unlikely. Instead, those in government are far more apt to act in the face of overwhelming public opinion.

That was evidenced in the recent case of the killer of little Tori Stafford being transferred from hard time in prison to a so-called "healing lodge." The outcry, including on talk radio, was so loud, not even the often tone-deaf Trudeau Liberals could ignore it and she's back where she belongs. In that case, perhaps talk radio whipped up the outrage, but the public wasn't happy with it when the news broke in the first place. And there was no one particular radio personality leading the charge.