sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2018 12:37 pm  #1

The Over-The-Air Toronto Radio Station You've Probably Never Heard

It's been on the air for years and you've probably never or rarely heard it. It has no production, no commercials, and I'm not entirely sure it even has actual call letters. And it boasts a format no one else has ever tried - all weather, all the time.

It's Weather Radio Canada  The station is run by Environment Canada and provides 24/7/365 weather info across the country. But the reason you may not be able to get it is that it's only broadcast on the VHF band, which isn't available on most AM and FM radios. In fact, you'll probably need a multiband radio to get the Toronto version, which is located at 162.400.

It's not a station you'll likely ever care much about but it becomes an essential service of a kind when there are tornadoes or severe weather in your area. Some special radios have a sort of smoke alarm feature, which turns the station on any time of the day or night when there's severe weather or an emergency in the forecast and you need to know. 

There are only a few places in Ontario you can get it on a low power FM version - mostly in Algonquin Park, the Bruce Peninsula and Parry Sound. 

Environment Canada has some info on the station on its website and there's a list of frequencies where you can hear it, if you're properly equipped. I've listened to it only a few times and that was several years ago. But one thing you can say for this place - they always know which way the wind is blowing!    

December 24, 2018 12:44 pm  #2

Re: The Over-The-Air Toronto Radio Station You've Probably Never Heard

One correction - it apparently does have call letters. The Toronto one is "XMJ-225."

I'd love to hear that jingle package! 

December 24, 2018 1:44 pm  #3

Re: The Over-The-Air Toronto Radio Station You've Probably Never Heard

I have an older Mercedes which has a weather band radio as one of the bands you may choose and ive heard this on "CH 2".  I believe it transmits off the CN tower.