sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2018 6:58 pm  #31

Re: Toronto Mike's hidden podcast

LocalNewsGuy wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I find much of this thread really sad. It's probably because I have so much respect for both of the gentlemen now at loggerheads with each other.

Toronto Mike has interviewed a ton of some of the biggest names in local radio and revealed a lot more about them than any of us ever knew. And while he does have some limited sponsorship, I suspect he's always done it out of his admiration of the talents he talks to. The fact he's managed to get so many down in that infamous "basement" is a tribute to what a fan he is of those great on-air talents.

And Doug Thompson is one of the most talented and accomplished radio producers not only in Canada but likely in the world. He may not have the profile of say, a Jay Nelson or a Bob McAdorey, but if you have fond memories of the old CHUM in its 60s and 70s heyday, he deserves some of the credit for its legendary sound. He's produced some of the best rock radio documentaries ever made and his work stands the test of time. 

I hope these two guys can somehow work it out because I have a lot of time and admiration for both of them.   

I do not know Toronto Mike personally, but I have been friends with Doug Thompson for many years. He has been extremely supportive of Rock Radio Scrapbook with countless donations of airchecks and pics from the CHUM vault. It would be difficult to find someone with more passion for radio, and CHUM in particular, and his generosity in sharing these artifacts is unsurpassed. His CHUM Tribute Site is one of the most in-depth looks at a vintage Top 40 radio station you will find anywhere - and all the material on it comes from Doug via the CHUM archives. For Doug, it's all a labour of love - a love of radio history.

http://chumtribute.ca

So then, why did Doug feel he needed to take a shot at Toronto Mike?

I can't answer that.

BTW, my previous post was not to take anything away from tremendous work Toronto Mike has done. Hopefully his interviews will remain online for many years so future generations can enjoy and learn from them. I applaud both Doug and Mike for the work they have done, and wish everyone here the best of the season.

"The radio craze ... will soon fade." - Thomas Edison, 1922

December 26, 2018 10:52 pm  #32

So when is this Douglas Thompson fellow going to appear on the lovely Toronto Mike podcast? Will they be speaking about Dean "Deaner" Blundell? 

December 29, 2018 9:47 am  #33

grilled.cheese wrote:

when is this Douglas Thompson fellow going to appear on the lovely Toronto Mike podcast? Will they be speaking about Dean "Deaner" Blundell? 

Am all ears