sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2018 11:07 am  #1

Dean Blundell Gets Another Chance

Dean Blundell has a somewhat troubled history in this city. He was let go by CFNY after some questionable comments about gays aired on his former morning show. He got another shot at The Fan, and that didn't work out either. Since then, he's turned up as a weekly panelist on the Jerry Agar Show on CFRB. 

Now he'll get a chance to see if he can handle current events in earnest, when he takes over for Agar as the Christmas schedule craziness kicks in. He'll be hosting that show next Thursday and Friday. And it may not be the last time. 

This is the period where regular staffers disappear for days or weeks at a time, as the usual hosts take their annual holiday vacation. That likely means a lot more exposure for people like Peter Shurman, who has already made several sub appearances on 640, and told listeners on air there would be a lot more.  

December 13, 2018 12:51 pm  #2

Re: Dean Blundell Gets Another Chance

Change of plans - Agar says the sked has been rearranged and Blundell will now be taking Jim Richards' place instead, since both are off at the same time. (Mark Towhey takes Agar's spot.) 

December 14, 2018 12:06 am  #3

Looking forward to hearing lots of different people sitting in for vacationing hosts, Peter Shurman, and Arlene Bynon too hopefully over on GNR am640.

When people do fill in, it eventually becomes apparent who's done their show prep, versus who has read a few articles, and is just winging it on personality.

And I am not referring to Dean Blundell, as I haven't heard him on Jerry's show as a panelist. I will definitely listen to the Showgram, and am interested to hear the talk radio Dean, and filling in's a blast if you enjoy broadcasting by the seat of your pants.

Last edited by betaylored (December 15, 2018 12:29 am)

December 14, 2018 1:11 pm  #4

Ah yes what talk radio needs - more homophobia!

December 19, 2018 6:59 pm  #5

The Toronto Star actually covers a radio story! (This links to an MSN page, so it shouldn't matter if you're a subscriber or not.)

Dean Blundell returns to Toronto radio as fill-in on Newstalk 1010

December 19, 2018 8:23 pm  #6

I like that he is given a second chance...especially since he has worked on some issues and exorcised some personal demons.

I am all about comebacks and wish him well.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 21, 2018 4:51 pm  #7

I was stuck doing #&?!! Christmas shopping this afternoon again, and am genuinely pissed off about not being able to have listened to ANY of Dean's sitting in for Jim Richards on the Showgram on Newstalk 1010 yesterday afternoon, and this afternoon.

Any chance there's part of it included in a reroll over the weekend, or it gets posted somewhere as a podcast?

If you heard the show/shows, how'd it go?

Last edited by betaylored (December 21, 2018 4:55 pm)

December 21, 2018 5:21 pm  #8

Not sure, but I think he might be filling in on Monday, too.

December 23, 2018 12:36 am  #9

Good to know about Monday being a possibility RadioActive, thanks, and I will make it a point to catch the show this time round.

Charlie, glad you found the less yelling a relief Now I am doubly intrigued to listen Monday afternoon.

December 24, 2018 12:48 pm  #10

Turns out Jon Pole is taking Richards' place on Monday.

There's no word if Blundell will be on later in the day or if he'll get a second shot. But I think he acquitted himself well enough in his mini-audition to get another chance somewhere down the road.  

December 29, 2018 11:21 am  #11

I heard him a couple of times ..Next contestant please ..