sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2018 8:16 pm  #31

Re: CKNT Audio Sucks and is Distorted

I suspect SOWNY has a bigger audience at this point than they do!

December 19, 2018 4:06 pm  #32

Chuck99 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Back to the original topic of this thread for a second, I just tried an interesting experiment. I was listening to CKNT and Mike Bullard's mic was horribly distorted on air, although everyone else sounded OK.

I then went to what passes for their website (still "under construction" apparently) and tired the online version. Bullard sounded just fine - there was no evidence of distortion or overmodulation.

I realize there are things that happen in processing, but how can it be so terrible on air and just fine online?  

Right now, I am not really sure how much it matters whether the Bullard show is heard clearly on the terrestrial signal.  With sunset occurring earlier in the afternoon, CKNT is switching to its night time pattern at around 4:30 p.m.  So unless they live within 10 miles of the transmitter, listeners will be unable to hear most of his show anyway.

Their transmitter is right next to a truck stop Motel.  Im hoping the owner of the hotel has set all the room clock radios to CKNT.

December 19, 2018 6:09 pm  #33

For whatever reason Haze FM has been simulcasting the signal for months and it's a much clearer and better feed.

http://us3.streamingpulse.com:8058/stream

http://www.thehazefm.ca/

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 23, 2021 4:01 pm  #34

Dale Patterson wrote:

markow202 wrote:

Speaking of sound - what station particularly on FM in Toronto would have the best fidelity of sound?  

Id have to say CHUM and CHFI would have the most clearest.  Afterall,  the HI stands for "high fidelity" in their call letters.

CKFM used to have a wonderful sound back in the day of Carl Banas and Russ Thompson. The great programming of the time didn't hurt. 

Soeaking from personal experience, having been there where CKFM launched with new Collins transmitters from Commerce Court West, the approach was very simple. At that time, there was no such thing as multi-band processors. We used the CBS FM Volumax. It was a single band processor.  We set the input level to cause the meter to deviate about 20-25% into the green under normal conditions.  The output level was then adjusted for 100% peak modulation as indicated by the peak flasher on the modulation monitor.
Now, everybody is obsessed with multi-band processing in the extreme. It's possible to have seven frequency bands each processed separately.  The problem when you do that is you introduce harmonic distortion, in some cases extreme amounts depending on the content. Classical music processed with a seven babd "rock" setting becomes absolute trash. For classical music, Omnia has a classical/jazz preset which has three-band processing, and it works very well.
Program directors need to have a clear appreciation of the organist's maxim that "less is more". The name of the game isn't to sound the loudest, to have the level meters pegged to a range of 2 dB, it's to have good clean dynamics.. Apart from the serious distortion introduced by extensive limiting and clipping, the human ear rebels against an overly-constrained dynamic range. The result is listener fatigue, and that leads to tune-out.  PD's should be locked in a room for eight straight hours and have to listen to the garbage they think is a great sound.
With AM, heavy modulation does equate to higher peak envelope power of the transmitter, and that gives the impression of expanded coverage.  With FM, power is immaterial except at the extreme edge of the coverage area. In the Toronto core,CFZM-FM on 96.7 at 82 watts sounds as loud as a 100 kW flamethrower.

February 23, 2021 4:26 pm  #35

Most if not all the Toronto stations sound like absolute garbage in terms of sound quality, except for CKFM (Virgin) and CHUM.  They have done something in the past two years that they have the cleanest, strongest signal of a sound.  CHFI (which stands for "high fidelity") is a thing of the past.  Boom sounds great for its format.

I also heard that Chum and Virgin are no longer on the master fm antenna (despite having a HD one above) or are they on both?  Hmm.