sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2018 7:14 pm  #1

Radio Station Runs Show Played Solely From 8-Track Tapes

Just when you think there couldn't be anything you haven't heard before on the radio, comes this. An Iowa station airs a weekly show that plays everything off of 8-track tapes.

I can't imagine what the audio quality of this thing might be and the accompanying linked article has a video that shows the host literally inserting the tape in the machine just before he plays it.  Can't be very tight production! (I actually listened to an archived show and yep, you guessed it - one of the songs stops in the middle, while the tape switches tracks!) 

The station claims it's the only such program in the world. And they just might be right - who else still has a player, let alone the tapes?  (Actually, I have two of the players, but only because I never throw anything music or radio related out, so I guess that answers that question...)

Forgotten 8-Track Tapes Now Focus of Radio Broadcast

December 8, 2018 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Radio Station Runs Show Played Solely From 8-Track Tapes

...not to be confused with cart machines. 
They may look similar, but the tapes are not the same thing.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 8, 2018 8:04 pm  #3

The 8 tracks were a bad technology. The sensing foils that were responsible for changing tracks  usually broke and the felt pads that help the tape make contact with the heads deteriorate. The tapes can be repaired but it's a headache. I never used the machines back in the day  but there was one in the house.

More recently I found some radio recordings and obtained some players. The clunking noise when the tape changes tracks is annoying and a lot of album had to have their playing order changed or tracks were interrupted by the change of tracks.

Last edited by Fitz (December 8, 2018 8:07 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 8, 2018 8:12 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

...not to be confused with cart machines. 
They may look similar, but the tapes are not the same thing.

I always wondered about that. what is the difference?  I used many a cart in my day (first radio job was spooling blank 30s and 90s for the news dept) but never really worked with 8tracks. 

December 8, 2018 8:27 pm  #5

8-tracks were a four-program / two-channel cartridge that allowed an album to be split into four channels.  It was a home and auto medium that gained a lot of traction in the 60s and 70s.  My dad bought a shit-load of them.  They were notorious for head alignment issues, so bad in fact, that you could hear dull audio from the other program.  To this day, whenever I hear "Goodbye Stranger" fading off, I can hear the end of "Take the Long Way Home" in my head, because that's what I heard whenever Dad played his "Breakfast In America" 8-track.

Just Awful!

As for carts, they only had three tracks: a cue track, and left and right audio.  Carts ran at 7.5 IPS and 8-tracks ran at 3.75 IPS.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 8, 2018 8:31 pm  #6

Well for one thing, carts were broadcast quality while 8-tracks barely had any. (Most 8-tracks had so much hiss, you thought a snake was in the room.) And of course, carts cued themselves back up so that the song or spot on them would always be ready to go. Couldn't do that with an 8-track, which started from wherever you left it. 

I still have a single lonely cart upstairs somewhere. It contains a copy of the infamous "Brady in the Morning" intro he used to use during his show on CFTR in the 70s. It's a stinger that leads into a chorus of voices saying "Good Morning!" I have no idea where I got it or if it would even play after all these years. It's a moot point, though, since I don't have a cart machine to try it on. 

December 8, 2018 8:52 pm  #7

thanks Jody and RA. i can't recall exactly, but with carts, if you made the splice either too tight or too loose, it would not pick up the cue and keep cycling in the player. good fun... 50 cents for a 30 and a buck for every 90 second cart i could produce.  still have my razor blade and grease pencil.

December 8, 2018 8:59 pm  #8

Well speak of the devil I was just digitizing an old FM rock broadcast and I heard an ad for 8 Track tapes.  There was also a 4 track format which predated the 8 tracks and I believe was created by "Mad Man Muntz' they sold prerecorded tapes and I don't think it had the track change clunking problem. I think you played one side and then the other without the machine changing programs.

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 8, 2018 9:07 pm  #9

To conclude, 8-track tapes are to quality audio what former CFRB asset Doug Ford is to public service.

December 9, 2018 4:21 am  #10

Here's a long dead format some may remember: The Playtape. There were likely different models, but the one I had was a small portable player called the 1200. The tapes were similar to 8-tracks, but much smaller and slimmer.  I was only 10 or 12 when I got mine, and have no idea how I acquired it. And I only had three cartridges, a Louis Armstrong, a Tijuana Brass and an Everly Brothers. I'm an Everly fan to this day because of that tape. I don't know anyone else who had one, so I don't think it was very popular.

December 9, 2018 11:39 am  #11

Here's more on the PlayTape, which until this post, I'd never heard of. 

Museum of Obsolete Media

December 9, 2018 2:12 pm  #12

Thanks for the info RA. Four years is a pretty short lifespan even for a tech product.  I wonder if there's a collector market. Sadly, I won't be cashing in if there is, as mine is long gone.

December 9, 2018 4:08 pm  #13

I have 8 track tapes.  Maybe 25 to 30 of them?  Nothing to play them on and no desire to hear a song interrupted by a switch-over to the next set of tracks.  This 8 track show would be nothing but annoying.  For all of the ballyhooing over vinyl [and I know that if it's the right vinyl the sound can be warmer] the snap, crackle, pop and click, click, clicking is not something I 'pine' to hear.  They ain't, after all, the fjords.

What I don't like are low quality, information deprived mp3s.  Wave files/c.d.s are superior.  But the days of demanding quality seem to have passed in favour of the sound of what amounts to a cheap transistor radio.

December 11, 2018 1:49 pm  #14

I listened to one of the archives of the 8 track show. He had some really bad 8 tracks to work with. Just for a laugh and lark I recorded some material from 8 tracks.My selections mostly from the classic free form radio era by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils and McGuiness Flint plus easy listening extras by Ann Murray and Herb Albert.In a Lossless Wav file because with 8 tracks additional  sound degradation should be avoided.

The tracks by ELP and Herb Alpert are passable. The machine I recorded with is a rare 8 track with Dolby but I did not use it as it takes out the highs.

8 Track Recordings

Last edited by Fitz (December 11, 2018 6:19 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 11, 2018 2:36 pm  #15

Fitz wrote:

I listened to one of the archives of the 8 track show. He had some really bad 8 tracks to work with. Just for a laugh and lark I recorded some material from 8 tracks.My selections mostly from the classic free form radio era by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Pink Floyd, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils and McGuiness Flint plus easy listening extras by Ann Murray and Herb Albert.In a Lossless Wav file because with 8 tracks additional  sound degradation should be avoided.

The tracks by ELP and Herb Alpert are passable. The machine I recorded on is a rare 8 track with Dolby but I did not use it as it takes out the highs.

8 Track Recordings 

I will say that your 8-track examples are above average.  That deck had relatively low wow and flutter and noise (relatively speaking).  The only Dolbyized cartridges I remembered were from RCA and Columbia.  If you had a well calibrated deck (again, very few did), the upper response may have rolled off a bit, but it was flat to 12 Khz at least, but you were lucky (very luck) to get a S/N ratio of 58 db (similar to a cassette deck without NR applied.)

It would be fun to have a car deck to play old tapes in a Caprice or something like that.  But what a horrible format.  It's amazing that it was as popular as it was.  The last new 8-track I ever saw at a store was at Woolco, in Eastgate Mall in East Hamilton.  They had Blondie's Autoamerican album there in 1981.  Dad wanted it for the Tide Is High, but Rapture was split into two channels.  So he passed on it.  Good Man!

I think the last 8-tracks he bought was John Lennon's Double Fantasy (which he returned because it was defective.)  I recorded a copy for him from my trusty LP.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 11, 2018 3:58 pm  #16

Can be fun Jody to experiment with the dinosaur formats just to see what they sounded like and aside from all the tech headaches and many other issues I will say that 8 tracks had a unique sound which I think you can distinguish from reel to reel or cassettes.

Last edited by Fitz (December 11, 2018 6:17 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More: