sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2022 1:21 pm  #31

Re: who's buyng CJR-B?

Glen Warren wrote:

Last week, Global (under Corus) cut 14 positions on the esteemed ET Canada show.
Relax, Cheryl Hickey is OK for now...

Corus CEO Doug Murphy has sent a "belt tightening" memo to all staff.  No discretionary travel, deferral of raises and bonuses, maintain on air and production operations but no extravagant capital budget purchases...  think twice about using those paper clips, please bring your own supply of pens and pencils from home, and use both sides of the toilet tissue... yada, yada, yada...

Guess that mega bucks buyout of Derringer has really hurt...

Corus is in a tough spot.  They got saddled with $2.65B in debt to buy Shaw Media (so Shaw could then aquire Freedom Mobile).  The Shaw Media channels (including Global), the existing Corus TV channels, and radio stations are in a no-growth business.  They are not a vertically integrated company.  Their Nelvana animation group has some potential but they seem to be a very secondary player.  Not much room to maneuver.

October 21, 2022 1:41 pm  #32

RadioAaron wrote:

Bell would have no use for Corus without major regulatory changes.

That's false. Bell would still be able to nit pick and choose select things to own and sell others.

Rogers would get Global and City TV would be sold.
This would have to happen quickly though because the Young & Dundas location for City TV is on it's way out the door...selling it would motivate keeping it where it is instead of a merge into another Rogers property.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 21, 2022 1:47 pm  #33

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

That's false. Bell would still be able to nit pick and choose select things to own and sell others.

Like what?

They're at their share cap for specialty, they can't have Global, and Corus isn't in any major radio markets that Bell isn't.

October 21, 2022 1:59 pm  #34

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Like what?

They're at their share cap for specialty, they can't have Global, and Corus isn't in any major radio markets that Bell isn't.

There's ways around that. A shuffle of what compliments what best, since some or many of the share capped stations have changed format or have been altered in their programming anyway. Clustering all the stations that have a similar format would work, selling off anything that isn't as strong. (for them)

ie if Bell were to decide they don't wish to deal with any food channels, the Food network & others dealing with food related programming could be sold to someone else to make room for another cluster of specialty channels.
(strictly an example...) 

October 21, 2022 6:02 pm  #35

They're not going to buy the whole company to shuffle a few properties around. That's absurd.

October 21, 2022 11:32 pm  #36

RadioAaron wrote:

They're not going to buy the whole company to shuffle a few properties around. That's absurd.

No. It's more focused. 

October 22, 2022 10:00 am  #37

Radiowiz wrote:

No. It's more focused. 

More focused? More focused is waiting for the company to collapse and buying the individual assets they want. There are barely any properties they would want anyways. Speciality is dead, CTV is the broadcast leader by far, Corus has no sports programming, and judging by Corus' list of radio stations there's a net gain of around 5 stations they'd acquire under the current regulations, probably 15 or so if the regulations allowed them to own one more station per market. If those regulations changed, Rogers and Stingray would be contenders too. 

January 13, 2023 11:24 am  #38

The thread that will not die is back, with this ominous new headline:

Corus Entertainment Profit Falls 59% In Fiscal Q1

How long before the layoffs begin?

(And by the way, my auto-correct for some reason didn't recognize the word "layoffs." It wanted to replace it to make it ask, "How long before the playoffs begin?" Obviously, the program never worked in radio...)

April 15, 2023 4:38 am  #40

How much did they pay Derringer to go away quietly?

Speaking of which, he has been quiet - a condititon of the settlement perhaps? I expected a bit of a grievance tour.

April 15, 2023 3:39 pm  #41

...but how did this become such a deep loss? I thought Product placement was an intelligent move!
A show like Big Brother, where they're enjoying as much Wendy's food as possible during the show, while relaxing on Brick (or Leon's) Furniture...and so on!

It didn't help enough to cover the losses? OR Would it have been a deeper debt if it were not for product placement?

April 15, 2023 6:26 pm  #42

i)   the "B" shares closed the week at $1.43 per.  Down 8.92% from the open.

ii)   The Brick or Leon's furniture?  One in the same...

iii)   I have a flyer of unused Wendy's coupons if anyone would like them... 

April 15, 2023 7:50 pm  #43

Glen Warren wrote:

iii)   I have a flyer of unused Wendy's coupons if anyone would like them... 

Are they expired?? I have the app but there's nothing there to motivate me to go.
As long as it's $4 or less in Ontario to pay only 5% tax, I ignore anything more than $4.  
I'd be happy to have a $4 combo, even if it's a small fries and small drink. 

THAT rule about $4 or less was put in place in 1991 and never got updated with the times. 
It should be $10 or less today!!! 
They can advertise all they want but without offering something for $4 or less, the desire to go there is dead.
Even Burger King is offering a Whopper for $4 currently.  
It's nice to be paying only $4.20 instead of $4.52.