sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2018 8:23 pm  #1

Could this be a trend in radio? Syndication killed the radio star

Hit radio's Jump 106.9 in Ottawa,  (A Corus station) has canned the morning show team this week and have replaced it with North America's top syndicated morning radio show, the hosts are Brooke and Jubal in the morning!

https://www.milkmanunlimited.com/milkmanunlimited/jump-106-9-welcomes-brooke-jubal-in-the-morning

https://jumpradio.ca/show/brooke-jubal/

Just wondering if this will be the norm for radio in Canada soon, it is cheaper to syndicate nationally, then to hire morning show hosts, where morning shoe hosts are usually the highest paid on the staff.

What is your take Big Yella?

Personally, I think it might be a trend, but I am doubting the lack of a local morning show will work...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 1, 2018 8:47 pm  #2

Re: Could this be a trend in radio? Syndication killed the radio star

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

You even have to ask?

Because it's different, it'll automatically be labelled "wrong" and "evil" here.  Then, there will be a litany of "corporate greed" and "sucking the life out of local radio".

Then, people will resume romanticizing about 1957 Chum or speculating about a Mississauga talk station that they will never listen to.  

September 1, 2018 10:59 pm  #3

Well Joe, you are talking about a company that is having some troubles with their shares at the moment, so anything that trims cost will come to mind, I suppose. 
Format changes are another option-the excuse to have no bodies at all on air in studio. 
(Note: I do not have ratings for Fresh Edmonton, which recently switched to Chuck FM)

Rogers has had a chance to use Zach on Kiss 92 & others, but they don't...why?
Well?  There must be a very good reason https://www.westwoodone.com/programming/music-entertainment/weekend-shows/zach-sang-show/ 

Bell also has had a fair chance to do the same with Virgin radio, but they do not. 
Zach has been around for a lot longer.
(Note: I honestly do not know if Bell's use of Ryan Seacrest prevents them from using other content on their Virgin Radio stations)

However, money has been saved using Ryan Seacrest on one station in other time slots and John Tesh on another station in the evening for quite some time now anyway.
To be fair, if John Tesh were not an option for Rogers, maybe corners would be cut with just Darren alone in the morning and no Mo...?  
(I hoenstly do not know-I'm just guessing) 

At the end of the day, radio is a business before it can be anything else, but it really needs more Canadian content so that companies can max out control over what is said on the radio.

My strong point would be that if Corus could use a Canadian national morning show instead of an American one, the content could come from ET Canada instead of ET USA. 
(stuff like that)

I'll argue further that if this really is the way to go, Hot 89nine will pick up Zach Sang and the gang...let's see if that happens. (in Ottawa)  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 2, 2018 12:22 am  #4

ok.  my question deals with regulatory issues.  fm stations are required to program 42 hrs per week of 'local content'.  so how will this station meet that threshold without a morning show?  you better believe the competition is monitoring...

September 2, 2018 12:55 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

You even have to ask?

Because it's different, it'll automatically be labelled "wrong" and "evil" here.  Then, there will be a litany of "corporate greed" and "sucking the life out of local radio".

Then, people will resume romanticizing about 1957 Chum or speculating about a Mississauga talk station that they will never listen to.  

Seems you can’t make your point without slagging others.  Everyone has an opinion.  There is no right or wrong.
I occasionally agree with you but your constant acerbic approach leaves me cold.

No need to reply.  I’m leaving this forum.

September 2, 2018 1:52 pm  #6

splunge wrote:

ok. my question deals with regulatory issues. fm stations are required to program 42 hrs per week of 'local content'. so how will this station meet that threshold without a morning show? you better believe the competition is monitoring...

Because the show only totals to 20 hours a week. No different from a regulatory point of view than a station using Seacrest in the evening.

September 2, 2018 2:29 pm  #7

I enjoy this forum and like maybo I am also disturbed by cGrant's attitude and vitriol. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion but cGrant's acerbic attitude is uncalled for. The new way is not always the better way. I enjoy hearing from those folks on this forum who have worked in the media for many years and have valuable constructive criticism to offer regarding changes in policies and procedures. I also enjoy hearing and reminiscing about the good old days.
If cGrant cannot post with civility, he is free to unsubscribe..  

September 2, 2018 3:30 pm  #8

mojo55 wrote:

I enjoy this forum and like maybo I am also disturbed by cGrant's attitude and vitriol. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion but cGrant's acerbic attitude is uncalled for. The new way is not always the better way. I enjoy hearing from those folks on this forum who have worked in the media for many years and have valuable constructive criticism to offer regarding changes in policies and procedures. I also enjoy hearing and reminiscing about the good old days. 

For the hundredth time, cGrant is NOT a "he".

No, the "new way" isn't always the better way. Agreed. But, in most cases, neither is the current way. So, what to do? Change. Experiment. Evolve. How else will we find a "better" way? After all, we got to where we are by not standing still.

Ironic as it is, hearing from folks who have worked in the medium IS in fact interesting. Knowing the history of something that we are passionate about is a good thing. But, and let's be completely blunt here, those same people usually (not always) oppose vehemently absolutely every effort of progress here. It's true: look anywhere there is a thread announcing a new anything. Being opposed to everything and anything does add to the discussion, yes. But, it's very predictable. 

Let's be real here, there are less and less active listeners to conventional media these days. Owners of radio and television stations do realize this and have to minimize their human resources and do more with less. People will lose their jobs. This is never going to change. Ever. So, yes, there will be some questionably idiotic decisions made by media management. But, they are trying. I'm no psychic, but I can with 90% accuracy predict the vox populi viewpoint of any thread introduction here. I'm sure you can as well. I add a more progressive opinion here. I accept advancements and efficiencies. If you don't you will not last in today's media. But, sure, I can dial it back; it's my passion speaking and, frankly milktoast isn't my style. But, with gratitude, I see your point and will continue to adjust. 

September 2, 2018 3:38 pm  #9

I agree with Maybo.  Bye.

September 3, 2018 3:26 pm  #10

The last time SOWNY experienced a wave of goodbye's, both Adma and D. Lennick left.    Some human trafficking is proposed:   Adma, Lennick and/or the Original Hank (or any combo thereof) for cGrant.           

Last edited by geo (September 4, 2018 2:33 pm)

September 3, 2018 3:32 pm  #11

Was Adma in radio?  I was just curious.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 3, 2018 3:36 pm  #12

don't know . . . but he clearly understood the diff. between "pop" and rock 'n roll

Last edited by geo (September 4, 2018 2:27 pm)

September 3, 2018 3:38 pm  #13

Come back, Old Codger and Maybo. Things just got better

September 3, 2018 4:51 pm  #14

Lentil wrote:

always glad to help

geo

September 3, 2018 6:57 pm  #15

Lentil wrote:

No disagreement from me. 

Now, if RadioActive would just change his title from Member to Moderator, things would be damn near perfect.

Oh, and to stay on topic, every time I hear the word syndication, the names John Tesh and Ryan Seacrest pop into my brain, and I turn 

September 3, 2018 7:05 pm  #16

Dial Twister wrote:

Now, if RadioActive would just change his title from Member to Moderator, things would be damn near perfect. 

Since this thread has already been partially hijacked, let me just jump in and say I've made the change you suggested. It never really occurred to me before this, but it was a simple fix. Hope all is "damn near perfect" now! 

September 3, 2018 10:20 pm  #17

Moderator and/or member...one fact is indisputable:  you have been and are doing a thankless task;  resulting in exceptional standards and results.

As a new member but long time reader;  let me just say your efforts are noted and appreciated.

"Thank you".

Last edited by Media Observer (September 3, 2018 10:21 pm)

September 4, 2018 10:34 am  #18

Thanks, that's very kind.

But it's the posters (well, most of them!) who make this board what it is. And I thank them for participating.

There's a lot of places to go on the web. I'm grateful so many make this place one of their daily stops.  

September 5, 2018 4:17 pm  #19

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Hit radio's Jump 106.9 in Ottawa,  (A Corus station) has canned the morning show team this week and have replaced it with North America's top syndicated morning radio show, the hosts are Brooke and Jubal in the morning!
...Personally, I think it might be a trend, but I am doubting the lack of a local morning show will work...

If you believe the reader comments from The Ottawa Citizen's article on this move, most swear they won't listen anymore. Of course, that's what people always say when a favourite is cut but often the ratings don't reflect it. A look at the book a year from now will be interesting to see if people carry out their boycott threat.

Morning show hosts bid farewell to fans following 'ruthless' restructuring at Jump! 106.9