sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2015 4:32 pm  #1

What to do when you’ve lost your way in radio

(Via KowchMedia)
Special Report: A guide on how to survive in radio 

I guess you gotta be outside of radio looking in to shake your head when people moan and groan about how it’s not like the old days. Too many people partake in this kind of conversation in radio stations every day.

Living in the past prevents you from embracing the future and puts you on the fast track out the door. Radio – and media in general – has become a young person’s game. You see it on television and hear younger voices on the radio.   

It’s not because radio doesn’t value experience. Radio management just doesn’t like paying high salaries to people who’ve been around since Marconi threw the switch and bring nothing new to the table. So a target is placed on their backs and when times are tough (like now with dropping sales revenue) they are the first to be cut.

But it doesn’t always have to be this way.

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 29, 2015 7:39 pm  #2

Re: What to do when you’ve lost your way in radio

Drivel.

Pure unadulterated drivel.

Oh wait...I forgot.  The audience doesn't count unless it's the same 15% of the pie every simple-minded/misdirected/lack of any vision or imagination outlet has decided is the ONLY target which matters.

The "old days" made all potential viewers and listeners closer to equal as a number.  Then there's now.  And how many outlets have closed?

This kind of narrow minded 21st century 'thinking' is what has become the demise of the industry.  It is the combination of every side of the coin which makes the actual coin.

Hello!!!

Last edited by Old Codger (July 29, 2015 7:59 pm)

July 30, 2015 12:18 am  #3

the way i see it, it can very tough to "chase your dreams" when somebody took away the track. many of the 75% are negative for reasons beyond their control. in my opinion, when it comes to broadcasting, the key is to (whenever possible) diversify. that way (with a little help from new technology) you might be able to build your own track. 

Last edited by the original hank (July 30, 2015 9:07 am)

July 30, 2015 7:08 am  #4

Print media is dealing w. similar issues.    Toronto Star regularly has "save 50%" inserts (in each issue in that free stack at McDonalds).     Macleans is currently offering 85% off the cover price, plus a free gift to new subscribers.   Some have stated that "free" is correct pricing for the Star & 85% off is correct pricing for Macleans now that it is 85% of what it once was

Over to you, Elderly Codger

July 30, 2015 7:48 am  #5

no need to add a thing.  industry foolishness speaks volumes.  the results are not surprising.  focus on the product...and the consumer.  ALL of the potential consumers.  the target is far too narrow and impossible to hit with meaningful results/numbers for most.

as for print?  go on line.  people don't make time for reading like they once did.  [at least not via books, newspapers and magazines]

there ARE men out there and people of both sexes over the age of 40 with money...and they buy stuff too.

hello!!!!

dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 30, 2015 7:50 am)

July 30, 2015 10:49 pm  #6

The best advice I have to give to college students is the secret to my success.

I was too stupid to know I couldn't do it.

Swear to god.  So many jobs I've had, from executive producer in radio and tv worlds, to broadcast engineering and design, script writing, producing motivational presentations, producing an intl. syndicated travel tv show..  every last one of them, were accepted with a shrug.  I wasn't 'qualified' to do them, but never thought "i can't do this'.  I always assumed if the person was stupid enough to hire me, it was their mistake.  Now I'm going to do all I can to make this job great.  And in almost every single instance, I look back fondly on all of 'em.  Did I piss people off along the way?  absolutely.  The one thing that a college course would have taught me was politics.  I knew SFA about that.  If something smelled like shit, I yelled 'this smells like shit'.  Not a good survival skill, but not much has changed.

I hate to imagine how many people get tripped up these days with all the self doubt.   When I was hired for my first radio gig ever, as night assignment editor in the CHUM newsroom, the qualifying question was 'have you been to school?'  and I had.  Earl Haig.  Had just finished and came down via subway for the interview.  I then spent 3 solid days and nights, sleeping in the spare control room, learning everything I could.  I'd been allowed in, now I had to prove I belonged there.

Last edited by ig (July 30, 2015 10:53 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 30, 2015 11:11 pm  #7

These last 2 posts make MUCH sense.  Send the owners and management back to school.  It CAN be great...IF cookie cutters aren't allowed.  EVERY market and situation AND audience varies.  It can't all be about 25 to 40 year old women.  There isn't enough rope available to have to put up with that SHIT for yet another 20 years.

Men...start shopping.  It's ALL *YOUR* fault.

Really.