sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2018 5:24 pm  #1

Spring 2018 PPM rating results

The Spring 2018 PPM ratings for Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver were released on the same day people were voting in the Ontario General Election on Thursday. My only comment is that I quite enjoyed working as a RDRO at one of the polls in the Mississauga/Malton riding. Adding the "R" in front of Deputy Returning Officer was a designation that I was able to revise the elector list to add those not on it or process people who didn't receive a Voters Identification Card or had changed their address. They all got to vote - many for the first time.

And just like the elections, the ratings had winners and losers in the five PPM markets.

Click here to learn which radio stations in Toronto are UP, DOWN or FLAT in the Spring 2018 PPM A12+ Ratings compared to the 2017 Spring PPM ratings.Thanks to David Bray you can also compare Toronto results for A12+ and 25-54 demos in the Spring 2018 and 2017/2018 Winter PPM ratings.

For those interested in Spring 2018 PPM rating results in Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver (and Toronto), click here to see which stations were UP, DOWN or FLAT across Canada. Just like the Toronto numbers, you will see results for A12+ and 25-54 demos in the 2018 Spring Book and compare results with the 2017 Spring Book and the Winter 2017/18 Winter book in all five PPM radio markets in Canada.

Last edited by kowchmedia (June 9, 2018 5:26 pm)

June 9, 2018 6:38 pm  #2

Re: Spring 2018 PPM rating results

Thanks for sharing the new PPM'S Steve, what I don't understand is how do stations like the Jewel, G98, Indie, and even the Move, make it work financially? The ratings are abysmal, so how do they attract advertisers? Or is it enough of a listening base, that is niche enough to gain enough of a group of listeners?

When I sold radio, if our Harris points and various indicators like cume and reach didn't measure up, we'd miss out on some national buys...

Interested to see what the board has to say!

Cheers!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 9, 2018 10:59 pm  #3

Here's the link to the David Bray page Steve was referring to.

June 10, 2018 1:30 am  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Thanks for sharing the new PPM'S Steve, what I don't understand is how do stations like the Jewel, G98, Indie, and even the Move, make it work financially? The ratings are abysmal, so how do they attract advertisers? Or is it enough of a listening base, that is niche enough to gain enough of a group of listeners?

When I sold radio, if our Harris points and various indicators like cume and reach didn't measure up, we'd miss out on some national buys...

Interested to see what the board has to say!

Cheers!

I'm reminded of something I learned in Phil Stone's broadcast management class years and years ago.  It was about CHIN radio.  They couldn't rely on ratings because in the 70s, many of their listeners weren't fluent enough in English to complete a diary.  But all the hosts (who usually sold the spots) had to do to lure a potential advertiser is to have them go to one of the current advertisers where CHIN would be on the radio during the shows where they bought ads.  The station did well despite basically having non-existent traditional ratings.

When it comes to local advertising, niche markets can be a goldmine because you're already talking to an audience with a lot in common.  In the 70s, it was Europe and the Caribbean.  Today, stations serving other parts of the world are making a comfortable income serving their niche market.

And as much as they might be maligned around here, Korman, Mihalik and Berkovits spend their money on radio because it works, regardless of the audience size.  Otherwise, why would they bother?

June 10, 2018 12:10 pm  #5

Peter the K wrote:

And as much as they might be maligned around here, Korman, Mihalik and Berkovits spend their money on radio because it works, regardless of the audience size.  Otherwise, why would they bother? 

In a word: "ego". Both of those gentlemen sell very expensive suits. Absurdly expensive. And their marketing is ridiculously convoluted. 3-for-1 then add 5% off on a new moon Tuesday if your second toe is longer than your big toe, etc. 

Let's parse this: the demo those clothiers are trying to attract don't troll the AM dial wondering where to get some clothing. They go to a private tailor and get their suits made. No, these advertisers are trying to hook the newbie sort that needs a suit for the first time to go to Nana's funeral.

As for the last name you mentioned; don't get me started. I have noticed he reduced his spots to near zero. Maybe 640 canned him and in RB-style, he took his toys to another sandlot.