sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2018 9:31 pm  #1

Gary Bell

Did Spaceman die?

June 4, 2018 9:35 pm  #2

Re: Gary Bell

Adrian Bell (no relation) got a heads up from one of Gary’s close friends that he had passed after a very brief battle with cancer.  Saw it on Adrian’s Facebook feed.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 4, 2018 9:37 pm  #3

Andy Burns and Victor Machado confirmed.

Sad sad sad.

June 5, 2018 2:18 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

Sad sad sad.

I agree g.c. I listened to his show when it was on am640 every now and then, and was always amazed at Mr. Bell's ability and skill in talking for an extended period of time (not an easy thing to do), in such a passionate, intense way about whatever subject he was focused on that particular night. He had a distinctive voice.

RIP Mr. Gary Bell

June 5, 2018 7:20 am  #5

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Bell a few years ago at Corus.  He was very friendly and outgoing to a complete stranger (myself) 

Last edited by grilled.cheese (June 5, 2018 7:55 am)

June 5, 2018 8:52 am  #6

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I was one of Gary's Ops back in the early 80s at CFTR. Within the confines of the music we were playing, Gary could make that station "sing".

What I appreciate much more about knowing Gary is what an interesting and kind person he was. I learned so much from him about what matters in life. In parallel Gary helped give me the confidence to advance in my career and mature in life in general - always remembering to stay humble in the process.

RIP Gary. I'm grateful for the excellent example you set.

June 5, 2018 11:48 am  #7

I was also trained as an op by Gary. Learned the trade/art, while enjoying endless tea and conversation with him overnights and in the car when I drove him home. What an experience. The highlight for me was when he won the exotic trip prize at the annual Ted Rogers Christmas Party around '86--well deserved.

Hell of a guy and talent! Rest in peace Pal!

June 5, 2018 8:12 pm  #8

Here is the link to Marc "Mes Oui" Denis' tribute to Montreal's CFOX radio and Gary Bell's aircheck...

http://www.marcdenis.com/cfox/player/popplayer.asp?track=gary-bell-77

Then his aircheck on CKGM

http://www.marcdenis.com/playa.asp?lefile=air_GaryBell1975

He also worked at CKGM Montreal's Montreal Hit Station along with Mike Cooper back in the day (the 70's)...He's pictured on this link to the tribute to CKGM...

http://www.marcdenis.com/ckgm-alumni.asp

He had a long career in the biz over 40 years...that in and of itself is pretty impressive...

I worked with Gary at Talk640  (Toxic 400) he was the technical producer for the show I was involved with and even back then he was up on the conspiracy's...we were on air when Princess Di, passed away and a week later he was explaining why she was likely murdered...

He was a true professional, rode his motorbike in to work, did a great job producing, loved radio, and of course he loved the conspiracy underworld.

May he RIP...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (June 5, 2018 8:21 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

June 6, 2018 10:38 am  #9

I'm proud to say I knew him. Sad news indeed. He will be missed.

June 7, 2018 11:50 am  #10

Is this a real story? Why isn't there anything else about Gary's passing outside of this forum?

June 7, 2018 11:58 am  #11

dwelsman wrote:

Is this a real story? Why isn't there anything else about Gary's passing outside of this forum?

Because it's an elaborate hoax.

June 7, 2018 4:12 pm  #12

The following appeared on June 5, on the View From Space Facebook page from a friend named Trish McNorgan. It may well explain why you've seen so little about his passing. 

"Gary was a very dear friend of mine since we met and worked together in Regina in 1973. Yesterday afternoon, I spoke with his wife of 47 years who passed on the tragic news. Gary did not want an obituary or a service. He remained a humble and simple man to the end.

Thankfully he did not suffer long. By the time he had the cancer operated on, they found it had traveled to his other organs. Four weeks ago, he was still riding his beloved motorcycle. I loved him like a brother and take this loss as family. Please do not obsess with conspiracy theories; this is reality. You will not see any official notice. That was as he wanted it.

Gary was 69 years old. We will not see the like of him again. A very sad and hard time indeed."

June 9, 2018 11:10 am  #13

Very classy and heartfelt tribute for Space by Kelly yesterday at the end of her show.

June 13, 2018 10:46 am  #14

Gary was a hoot to work with. You had to make sure you didn't have any pending appointments if you were going to strike up a conversation with him in the hallways. He was a colourful character in a business that is increasingly fading to black and white. A great show producer and an amazing host. His pregnant pauses during his Saturday night monologues - I'm sure - set off the dead air alarms in engineering at least twice a show. R.I.P. Gary Bell. Thanks for all your contributions to this world.