sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2015 9:49 am  #1

DAB Radio: What Our Future Might Have Been

A lot of SOWNY-ites will well remember the failed expermient that was Digital Audio Broadcasting, a disaster that cost companies like the old CHUM Ltd. a small fortune for not very much return. There was a time DAB was hailed as the future of broadcasting, but what if it had happened? The answer to that question may have come out of Britain, which has embraced the technology and is producing radios that get the signal, car stereos that lock on to it and more. 

But as the linked article seems to illustrate, we dodged a very big bullet when DAB shot itself in the foot here. And the U.K. seems determined to make that mistake happen, despite the increasing volume of sounds from a very disgruntled listenership.

Audiences in the U.K. condemn DAB

July 21, 2015 10:56 am  #2

Re: DAB Radio: What Our Future Might Have Been

it faded away like brylcream.

Last edited by the original hank (July 21, 2015 10:56 am)

July 21, 2015 4:38 pm  #3

I remember the day CHUM launched AM stereo.  McGoo did the 6:00 to 7:00 hour.  I hosted the first FULL show...in steeereo Peetie.  And it failed.  My fault?  No.

The U.S. had to do it 'THEIR' way while the rest of the world saw the better way...and it all ... fell ... down.  {and we still lost it going under bridges.]

July 22, 2015 1:15 am  #4

Here in Canada they spent top dollar paying for famous people like Gilbert Godfrey to appear in radio ads, yet it still failed!
(Nice jingle though!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWbLlvWkwP8

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 22, 2015 1:15 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.