sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2018 11:16 am  #1

CIRA 1350

Someone elsewhere reported that CIRA 1350 is on the air, but in searching, they (and I) found that it looks like it went off in 2012.. but the license was renewed just last year.

According to broadcasting-history.ca, "The commission said the short-term renewal would allow for a review of compliance issues including broadcasting messages soliciting funds that violate the Religious Broadcasting Policy, absence of program logs for some time periods and late or incomplete filing of annual returns."

So what exactly is going on here? I'm mildly curious.   Why is it back on and what was the outcome of the review?

May 8, 2018 11:20 am  #2

Re: CIRA 1350

The short-term renewal was for CIRA-FM in Montreal, which had been the parent to the now-defunct CIRA-5 1350 in Gatineau.

The new 1350 in Gatineau is a new licence, CHFO, which was granted to a local community group last year and began testing in March. 

May 8, 2018 12:18 pm  #3

The CRTC awarded a licence for a new ethnic station in Brampton on 1350 to be called Radio Humsafar. That was back in 2015. They were supposed to be on air by October 2017, although so far, bupkis on that frequency 

It joins 1220 Grapevine Radio (supposedly going to be an oldies station) in St. Catharines and the infamous CKNT 960 in Mississauga under the continuing title of "Failure To Launch."

May 8, 2018 1:17 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

The CRTC awarded a licence for a new ethnic station in Brampton on 1350 to be called Radio Humsafar. That was back in 2015. They were supposed to be on air by October 2017, although so far, bupkis on that frequency

The CP for this expired last year and yet there is a newer entry in the ISEDC database for the station at a new location in Mississauga. If Humsafar is planning to get this station on the air, I would think they would need to reapply.