sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2018 9:13 pm  #1

The Blue Jays broadcast team...what is the verdict so far?

I have been watching Joe Siddal and Kevin Barker with Jamie Campbell on TV and quite like the team...and the radio team of Ben Wagner with various guest hosts including former Jays catcher Josh Thole and on occasion Dan Shulman , sounds pretty good so far too.

I predicted Ben would take over from Jerry back in February and I don't mind him at all...

What is your take Big Yella? Are you liking what you're hearing and seeing on the Jays telecasts and radio casts?

I gotta go Sanchez, is pitching a no-hitter into the 8th...

I await your thoughts/comments!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 10, 2018 10:48 pm  #2

Re: The Blue Jays broadcast team...what is the verdict so far?

Great minds must think alike.  I was actually thinking about this and listening critically this evening while cruising around.
On the radio side, don't mind Ben Wagner at all doing play by play but personally I think Josh Thole is not working out at all.   Very weak.   He really does not do a good job of dissecting what is happening on the field and explaining why. I find quite frequently he leaves the listener hanging, and perhaps needs to follow up on what he has said.   I understand the importance of brevity, but sometimes a little more is really better.
It is still quite early and he may grow into the position as the season goes on but as of right now I think he still needs a lot of work.

April 11, 2018 12:47 pm  #3

we were spoiled for so long ,   hope rogers / jays really try    to get chemistry into there radio team again
miss you tom & jerry 

[enjoyed the 90's]

April 11, 2018 2:16 pm  #4

Siddall is better on the desk with Jamie than in the broadcast booth. He turns a 10 second point into a 30 second diatribe. Barker is better than people give him credit for. He is fair with his criticism when necessary. Wagner is not bad at all.

April 11, 2018 2:23 pm  #5

I'm with Grilled Cheese!  By the way; unless I missed it, did they have a big going away party for Jerry?

April 11, 2018 8:53 pm  #6

Thole wasn't the greatest catcher. He's certainly not the greatest analyst. I really don't gain a lot by hearing him say, "He's a professional hitter." Or "Marco Estrada doesn't want to see those three runners he left on base come in to score." Look, the guy knows more about baseball than I ever will and I could have said those last sentences - both of which he has during the past few games.

And I'm sorry to say I'm not a fan of Wagner. He sounds too much like a DJ trying to hurry his intro to hit the post. The games just don't sound very exciting when he calls them. He's a journeyman broadcaster but nothing special. Still, it's very unfair to judge him yet. I remember when Howarth started way back when. I didn't think much of him, either. But he grew into the position and got better and better. And he left as one of the best in the game. So I'm willing to give the new guy a chance. 

And who knows - 36 years from now when he retires, I may say he's one of the best there ever was. Although I doubt I'll still be around by then!

Wish they'd gotten Jim Brockmire instead! (The new season starts on April 25th in the U.S. Not sure about Canada,)