sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2018 8:40 am  #1

Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News

Every morning I normally stream CFRB from 5:00 am to 8:00 am but this morning the term “Breaking News” was causing me to flinch every time it was broadcast.  It was losing its impact three hours after the original B[i]reaking News[/i] story of the shot bomber was heard.  It seemed every other story heard on CFRB was of a Breaking News category, much after their original broadcast.

This superfluous use of the term really loses its thrust when overdone and unnecessary.  Use it, yes, but when appropriate.  I’m surprised that a station that purports to be #1 didn’t recognize the redundancy.

As a retired ND, it’s difficult sometimes to listen to blatant mispronunciations and grammatically inappropriate news copy broadcast today.

March 21, 2018 10:04 am  #2

Re: Breaking News! Breaking News! Breaking News

I hear your pain

You are not alone

This has been discussed before (and recently) here.

Speaking of the mispronounced - I heard a young lady newscaster on the Corus overnight feed refer to a new locale on the map apparently known as "Salt" St. Marie

March 21, 2018 10:26 am  #3

CFRB has actually been fairly responsible with the use of the dreaded "Breaking News" phrase in the past. But it seems like that's now over and they may be trying to emulate their sister CP24, which has always overused the term. I also noted this week that they seem to have just added a musical stinger for what they're calling "Developing News."

In other words, 'news we can't quite call breaking but we still want to highlight so you'll turn up the radio volume and think we're telling you something important.' It's similar to 680 News' "Happening Now" stinger, that essentially does the same thing. It's a tricky balance, and when it works, it works great. When it's overused, it hurts the credibility of news outlets everywhere. But like the boy who cried wolf, it seems they just can't resist it.    

Here's the original thread that shows you're not alone.

March 21, 2018 10:54 am  #4

But Fester...it is 'The Sault'.

CNN...Breaking news is anything fairly recent these days.  Pisses me off...every time.  But heh!!!  It's all just part of what is now so stupid that credibility is no longer an asset.  As always...SELL!!!  SELL!! Sell those stocks before they're totally worthless.  The broadcast 'entities', for the most part, already are.

March 21, 2018 10:58 am  #5

A enjoyable discussion interrupted with a breaking news for traffic 3 mints before news.  Ended up turning 640 and stayed for rest of the drive in.

March 21, 2018 12:35 pm  #6

SteveYYZ wrote:

A enjoyable discussion interrupted with a breaking news for traffic 3 mints before news.  Ended up turning 640 and stayed for rest of the drive in.

I heard that
I believe John Moore said "...it's 8:57..." and the breaking news thingy sounded...
Then Lisa - the traffic gal gave her update and that was that
I did find the episode somewhat strange & out-of-place as you did

March 21, 2018 5:58 pm  #7

I worked the overnight shift at CP-BN for many years. Stories would break overnight - nothing of great importance much of the time - but worthy of a brief separate on the wire. Driving home, I would hear 680 News rolling out these stories as "breaking news" as if they had just happened, even though it may have been hours ago. A good example would be a 5.9 earthquake somewhere, no reports of injuries or damage, but 680 would cast the story like it was Armageddon. But they'd never mention it again. Anything to get the listener's attention I guess, news value be damned.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 26, 2018 12:48 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

CFRB has actually been fairly responsible with the use of the dreaded "Breaking News" phrase in the past. But it seems like that's now over and they may be trying to emulate their sister CP24, which has always overused the term. I also noted this week that they seem to have just added a musical stinger for what they're calling "Developing News."

In other words, 'news we can't quite call breaking but we still want to highlight so you'll turn up the radio volume and think we're telling you something important.' It's similar to 680 News' "Happening Now" stinger, that essentially does the same thing. It's a tricky balance, and when it works, it works great. When it's overused, it hurts the credibility of news outlets everywhere. But like the boy who cried wolf, it seems they just can't resist it.    

Here's the original thread that shows you're not alone.

RadioActive, you are a class act sir (madam?). The big yellow board would be smaller and paler without you.

You make a good point about the way 680 heralds developing stories. A bit of fanfare creates interest and the "Happening Now" spin gets the listeners attention without the burnout.

Last edited by betaylored (March 26, 2018 12:49 pm)

March 26, 2018 1:42 pm  #9

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive, you are a class act sir (madam?). The big yellow board would be smaller and paler without you.

Thank you for the kind words. Wish I deserved them! And for the record, it's "sir," although I'm sure the new rules at Service Canada would prevent you from uttering such an honourific. I just wish they'd use "hey you!" (At least it's generic...)