sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2018 10:04 am  #1

101.1 More FM CFLZ

They were pounding into Ridgway, Pennsylvania Monday March 12th between about 930am and 1030am.  Here's two youtube videos with audio of the reception. The video shows the signal level, 2 out of 3 bars and has audio fed directly into the video. RCA outputs from my radio, line in to my digital recorder and line out of the digital recorder into my IPhone. Distance from the C F L Zed transmitter to my porch is 103.94 miles/167.27km. Sure, it's 50KW at 76 meters/250 feet but it's a new logging in my book, overcoming weak as heck semi local WFGE State College, PA (70 miles/110km) and often strong as crap semi local WHOT Youngstown, OH (110 mile/177 meters)

Equipment: Sony XDRF1HD radio and Kathrein Scala YA7 5 element Yagi antenna

March 13, 2018 4:28 pm  #2

Re: 101.1 More FM CFLZ

@Chuck99, I am not aware of any CRTC regulation preventing Canadian broadcasters from soliciting in the US.  Please point me to the Policy....

I saw in the decision that they plan on purchasing new transmitters for both stations, so that might add to the signal capacity.

March 13, 2018 9:13 pm  #3

@Chuck, you defined it.  The previous owners were programming to the US and even using buffalo studios for a time. (this was before Vista).  Hence the CRTC requirement that the Niagara Falls station carry something like 3 hours of canadian local news programming per week.  However, it had nothing to do with soliciting or accepting advertising from across the bridge.  the commission doesn't care about that in the grand scheme of things.

I think you're correct about the 101 transmitter.  i haven't read the application in awhile.  if i recall, byrnes was granted an exemption from the "crtc sales tax" if they upgraded the plant and equipment.

March 13, 2018 11:28 pm  #4

yes Chuck... i don't know much about the american side and its on air offerings, but i would infer that as long as your programming... spoken word in particular... is of high quality focusing on cross-border regional news, i can't see cancon music as an impediment for drawing sales or listeners.  Fact is, byrnes is only a few weeks into it.  let's talk in a year and see how it's developed.