sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2018 10:19 pm  #1

Morning Drive Or All Night Show Question

I've always been curious about this and I figure someone here can answer this question: Did you ever work either a morning drive shift or do the all night show at a radio station? If so, what did you do about sleeping on your days off? Did you continue to get up at, say, 2:30 AM on the days you weren't working just to keep consistent sleep patterns? (Or in the case of the graveyard shift, stay up all night when you were off?) Or did you revert to more normal hours on the weekends, and pay the price for it on Monday mornings? 

I was generally able to maintain relatively normal hours in radio and TV, so I've always wondered what other people who worked those bizarre time slots did. And what did it do to your life overall?

February 24, 2018 10:57 pm  #2

Re: Morning Drive Or All Night Show Question

I worked midnights at CP-BN for many years and on my days off attempted to go back to a "normal" sleeping pattern. I also did early mornings (5:30 a.m.) for five years but on weekends would sleep in.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 24, 2018 11:58 pm  #3

Working on a morning show, I would try to sleep in four-hour shifts — afternoons and midnight-4am.  And I would sleep in on weekends.

February 25, 2018 9:38 am  #4

The legendary Wally Crouter told me that when the weekends came he would stick to his morning show hours.   He told me that if he tried to sleep in; then that would screw things up sleep wise for Monday morning.  Therefore 7 days a week, morning show hours. I've talked to one current morning show host in Toronto about the hours.  He gave the answer that always plagued me and many others.  No matter what you did, you always and I mean always felt tired. 

February 25, 2018 10:15 am  #5

Wow, those answers are interesting. And very different! I guess there is no one way to handle what is essentially a disruption to any normal routine. 

In thinking back, I realize I faced this dilemma just once. I remember now that I once worked a 3 month overnight shift at a newsroom a very long time ago. I stayed up all night on my weekends, mainly because I wanted to get into a pattern. But staying awake was a challenge. I remember how lonely those days off were in the pre-computer/Internet era. There was no one you could call at 3 in the morning and nowhere you could really go. It was very isolating.

This was long before Sunday shopping was given the green light in Ontario. I remember coming out of the building at 6 am on a summer weekend to a completely dead downtown Toronto. There were very few cars, there was almost no noise and you could hear the sound of trees swaying in the breeze. Hardly the way you'd think of the big city today. It was almost surreal.

Also, I recall now the question of what to eat when you got home from your shift at 7 in the morning, not long before going to bed. Was it breakfast or dinner? It's amazing how your world gets turned upside down by being on the wrong end of the clock.

But John Donabie is right - until you're on a different schedule, you never get over the fatigue.

February 25, 2018 4:01 pm  #6

I did mornings most of my career and was in the station usually by 4:30am starting the day's news run.
I'd usually be done by ten or noon and I'd go home and sleep for two hours. 
I'd be able to stay up until 10pm so I still could have a life.
Weekends were to sleep in late and party late.
And there were those days in the 70s and 80s that you would often go out weeknights as well and sometimes keep going in after hours joints until it was time to go to work again.
But we were young ones then.
After all these years (55 in the biz,) I still automatically wake up at 3:30 every morning but go right back to sleep again.
Everyone has a different life rhythm so you have to find the solution that works for you.

February 25, 2018 4:18 pm  #7

Mike Cleaver wrote:

I still automatically wake up at 3:30 every morning but go right back to sleep again.

Me too!!

Only difference being I gotta' get up and take a leak

February 25, 2018 4:50 pm  #8

John D wrote:

Th<snip>. I've talked to one current morning show host in Toronto about the hours.  He gave the answer that always plagued me and many others.  No matter what you did, you always and I mean always felt tired. 

YES!! That, right there. .I've done morning drive at different stations and even if i got enough sleep, I was still tired.. andf it made weekends hell.  There were a few times that i didnt wake up till like 11 or 12 because i was so tired....imagine that, taking a good hour to fully wake up and have to be to bed in 8 hours.. that sucked

February 25, 2018 6:26 pm  #9

As rough as the morning drive sked can be, at least you have a small window at a normal life - even if you have to be in bed by say 8 or 9 PM. It's the long term overnight people I always felt sorry for. Everybody's heading to work just as they're going home, presumably exhausted from being up all night. They have to sleep when it's light out, which is especially hard during the summer months and their schedule is always just a little bit off.  

Still, some people are made for what I used to call the 'vampire' shift. It's one of the reasons veteran newsman Bill Marshall was popular at The Canadian Press - he wanted to work the all-nighters and did so for years, until his recent retirement. If he was there, someone else didn't have to be.(And there was the bonus of never being there when management came to work.) I'm betting they were all sorry to see him go!

Of course, with automation and cutbacks, there are a lot fewer overnight positions around now than there used to be.

February 25, 2018 7:10 pm  #10

Bill even split his shifts — evenings two nights a week and then overnights for three.

February 26, 2018 1:43 am  #11

At my favourite job, I was 20 and had to be at work at 5:00 a.m. on Saturdays, 6:45 a.m. on Sundays, 4:15 p.m. on Mondays and Tuesdays, and 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I didn't get paid for Monday and Tuesday, and left just after I got off the air at 6:00 p.m.

It just didn't make sense to get up at 3:45 a.m. every other morning just because I had to on Saturdays.