sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2018 11:27 am  #1

Jerry Agar Fumes As Patrick Brown Bails On Highly Hyped 'RB Appearance

After promoting Patrick Brown's appearance on the Jerry Agar show for the past 24 hours, the would-be-re-leader of the P.C. Party suddenly and mysteriously dropped out on CFRB with less than 2 minutes notice. The station has been hyping this endlessly and there's no doubt Agar would have been at least a somewhat sympathetic ear.

At first, they said he'd be live. Then he would be appearing by phone only. And then he didn't bother to come on at all. It doesn't look good for Brown to do this without any apparent reason and knowing how much they've been building up to it for the past day. I wonder if the fact that 'RB is owned by Bell (which also controls CTV, the organization Brown is threatening to sue) has anything to do with it. 

But talk about throwing a hand grenade into a show. He set aside an entire half hour of airtime for this. It's hard to recover from that, and listening to Agar's reaction, it's clear he's not happy. When Brown's press secretary came on and said it was a "scheduling problem" and "human error," he publicly said he didn't believe her, given all the hype that surrounded his appearance. Despite her apology, it degenerated into a confrontation between Agar and Brown's press flak, who accused him of spreading "fake news" and being "unprofessional" as he openly mused that maybe the former leader had already been rejected from running and tried to arrange for a rescheduling.  

At several points, Agar's producer also came on air, noting they had his promise of showing up in writing. It was not a pretty confrontation, but boy, was it entertaining radio, with a peek behind the scenes you rarely get to hear. (Maybe almost as good as if Brown had actually shown up.) 

When I was doing a talk show a long time ago, there was only one last minute cancellation I ever had, a person I couldn't reach by phone despite significant promises he'd be there. Believe it or not, it was Henny Youngman. 

Take my guest - please.

February 21, 2018 12:30 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Agar Fumes As Patrick Brown Bails On Highly Hyped 'RB Appearance

Where are all these Patrick Brown supporters coming from and why??
Why support someone who will just keep making mistakes?
Worse yet, it's a "Who cares?" behavior going on!
A solid "I never have to apologize for anything ever" mentality.
It's just not needed. 
Long before being accused of anything, why doesn't anyone remember this:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3910018/ontario-premier-kathleen-wynne-patrick-brown-defamation/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 21, 2018 12:36 pm  #3

grilled.cheese wrote:

Hopefully the audio will be available later

They've just put it up here.

Definitely worth a listen. It's very entertaining in a cringe-worthy kind of way. 

February 21, 2018 4:21 pm  #4

Brown was on 740 AM around 12:30 pm Interestingly. 

Last edited by cash (February 21, 2018 9:46 pm)

February 21, 2018 8:04 pm  #5

I'm not clicking on the link but the thought of an enraged teabagger is amusing to me.

February 21, 2018 9:19 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Hopefully the audio will be available later

They've just put it up here.

Definitely worth a listen. It's very entertaining in a cringe-worthy kind of way. 

Just tried to listen but got a blank page on my iPad.  Anyone else have trouble with the link?

February 21, 2018 9:33 pm  #7

I got a blank page on Google Chrome as well this time. I've compared the links and it appears they've made a change to it for whatever reason, which is why you're getting nothing.  

Try this new one:

http://www.iheartradio.ca/newstalk-1010/audio/patrick-brown-bails-on-interview-with-jerry-agar-1.3638213?mode=Article&autoplay=1.3638213

February 22, 2018 11:09 am  #8

Wow!  Thanks for the new link.  So press flak has the gall to link Jerry’s reaction to why people no longer trust the media anymore?!  Brilliant comment.

Last edited by maybo (February 22, 2018 11:09 am)

February 22, 2018 11:50 am  #9

Agar elaborates on his strange morning on the radio in Thursday's Toronto Sun:

AGAR: Strange tales from Patrick Brown  

By the way, Agar is making frequent references on air to the fact that this is his eighth anniversary at CFRB, likely longer than he's ever worked anywhere. Anyone recall who he replaced? If memory serves, I think it was Bill Carroll. 

February 24, 2018 12:10 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

By the way, Agar is making frequent references on air to the fact that this is his eighth anniversary at CFRB, likely longer than he's ever worked anywhere. Anyone recall who he replaced? If memory serves, I think it was Bill Carroll. 

Right you are. There's video of that "hand-off":