sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2018 11:37 am  #1

U.S. Station Discovers It's Been Operating Illegally - Since 2008!

I don't know why, but I find this story hilarious. A Yale University radio station has shut down after discovering it's been operating illegally for the past 10 years!

"Students involved with WYBCx heard about the problem on Friday afternoon, when Emma Keyes ’19, the station’s general manager, sent out an email saying that “we do not have a licensing agreement for any of the music we have been playing which is NOT GOOD.”

“Seriously, we have been operating illegally since 2008,” Keyes said in the email."

Not the most important story you'll read today, but somehow - and I know it shouldn't - that email of ignorance out of one of the most prestigious institutions of learning in the world strikes me as amusing. 

Yale radio suspends operations

February 19, 2018 11:49 am  #2

Re: U.S. Station Discovers It's Been Operating Illegally - Since 2008!

Something similar happened at my old college station in the 80s. The enterprising young station manager set up a transmitter on the roof, blissfully unaware that there was some kind of formalised process to follow.

February 24, 2018 2:23 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I don't know why, but I find this story hilarious. A Yale University radio station has shut down after discovering it's been operating illegally for the past 10 years!

"Students involved with WYBCx heard about the problem on Friday afternoon, when Emma Keyes ’19, the station’s general manager, sent out an email saying that “we do not have a licensing agreement for any of the music we have been playing which is NOT GOOD.”

“Seriously, we have been operating illegally since 2008,” Keyes said in the email."

Not the most important story you'll read today, but somehow - and I know it shouldn't - that email of ignorance out of one of the most prestigious institutions of learning in the world strikes me as amusing. 

Yale radio suspends operations

They've come back on late this week after straightening things out.

I laughed too... its one of those.. its so bad, so fuk'd up, its laughable.. situations

February 26, 2018 1:52 am  #4

In 1974, UBC Radio did not get off as lightly for its "innocent mistake":  when Carrier Current first required licensing by the CRTC, CYVR applied and continued broadcasting after the deadline.  Punishment was 6 months off the air, after which, a license was finally issued by the CRTC.