sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2015 10:57 pm  #1

Radio Ad Is Designed To Turn Off Your Phone While You Drive

Frankly, I'm not sure if this is real or just a publicity gimmick. And I really wonder if it would work either way. But Toyota has apparently tried to create a radio spot that purports to put iPhones into Airplane Mode, so they can't be used by potentially distracted drivers.

Still, since many of us instantly turn the station when an ad comes on, I doubt the message would ever reach its intended target - Siri. Much as I hate texters/cell phone users behind the wheel, there's something a bit creepy about this. 

Toyota radio ad shuts down iPhones because drivers won’t

July 9, 2015 11:13 pm  #2

Re: Radio Ad Is Designed To Turn Off Your Phone While You Drive

Tell me there is 1..  just 1 sales manager or program director that would be stupid enough to allow this on their staiton.  It's right up there with a fire or ambulance siren off the top of your spot.    Actually no, this one is dumber.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 10, 2015 12:00 am  #3

I used to drive down the DVP on my Virago 1000 looking through car windows where people were shaving, applying makeup, reading newspapers/magazines/books, and putting the entire conglomerate at risk.  It's the only reason I don't say let it pass.  Idiots kill intelligent people too.

We need ejector buttons...or bazookas.  You got the phone/text shyte on while driving?  You SHOULD be turned off.  YOU...not the phone.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 10, 2015 12:01 am)

July 12, 2015 1:29 am  #4

Remember the clapper?

I always wondered what would happen if you set it up to control your lights and the commercial came on?