sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2017 4:07 pm  #1

Another Radio Legend Dropped After Sex Allegations

I'm not sure how many here know the name Jonathan Schwartz. He's been on the air for decades in New York City, arguably the most prestigious market in the world. (I know SOWNY board founder Dale Patterson was a huge fan when Schwartz was on the old WQXR/WQEW. Here's a link to an old aircheck on his Rockradioscrapbook site.) Well, now the #MeToo movement has caught up to him, after he and a colleague were both dismissed from a major Big Apple Public Radio station for "inappropriate behaviour."

I guess this stuff goes on and apparently a lot more than I ever knew. After almost 40 years in the biz, I never met anyone who said they've been treated in an illicit sexual manner. At least not that I ever heard about. It seems I may be naive on this stuff, but it's just incredible to me how many women are now telling this same story. And radio is no exception. 

New York Public Radio Fires WNYC Hosts Leonard Lopate and Jonathan Schwartz

Last edited by RadioActive (December 22, 2017 4:28 pm)

December 22, 2017 4:53 pm  #2

Re: Another Radio Legend Dropped After Sex Allegations

RadioActive wrote:

I guess this stuff goes on and apparently a lot more than I ever knew. After almost 40 years in the biz, I never met anyone who said they've been treated in an illicit sexual manner. At least not that I ever heard about

It _did_ go on a lot more, but you'd probably have to go back a good decade to find it.   I was just telling someone yesterday that I was reminiscing with a friend about how much different and 'fun' a certain station was in the early 80's, and how it always seemed people were laughing and having a great time, and she astutely pointed out that it had a lot to do with me having an Adam's apple.  And looking back, she's right.  It wasn't a very 'female friendly' business.

But, having said that, I know it's changed and matured, and the survivors have changed and matured with it.   And I'm guessing many today wouldn't recognize the people they were 20-30 years ago.  Nor would most of us.  

Where it gets uncomfortable for me is that the station admits that both men had a history of being accused of improper actions and being disciplined for them.  That suggests to me that if it wasn't for all the scrutiny currently underway, there's a good chance this would have been another occurrence that would have been brushed under the carpet.   I'm not sure they should have admitted to that.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 22, 2017 11:08 pm  #3

Having been the "target" of a former male colleague as I mentioned in an earlier thread I can relate

I was not terribly offended by his solicitation at the time -- I laughed it off but his suggestion was real

I don't know what would happen to him today with much tougher standards

While his one-time "offer" probably wasn't a fireable offence back then -- today likely a much different story??

I worked at a station in the 80's where an attractive young lady was hired.

The program director had designs on her and got to the point of bothering her outside of work

I heard she came "this close" to making a formal complaint with the police - station owner etc.

She solved the situation by leaving the job

And the fella' involved holds a prominent position in my local area to this day...

December 23, 2017 5:27 pm  #4

A lot of employees of both sexes came to me with complaints over my 55 years in the business but NONE wanted to "rock the boat" because all feared they would lose their jobs and be blacklisted by the "old boy's network" of owners and managers, many of whom were involved in the stories I was told.  I tried to encourage them to speak out but none would do it.  I have always encouraged people, especially over the last twenty years, to record everything with a discrete hidden recorder, either video or audio or both, strictly legal here in Canada and to save anything that is "outside the law" on their computers at home.  Twice, this has resulted in large settlements from previous employers and demotions for some and company policy changes chainwide for others.  Protect yourself always with solid evidence of wrongdoing.  Keep copies of all memos and any paperwork directly addressed to you.

December 24, 2017 1:36 am  #5

Yes...What Mike said.  Keep everything.  Although times may change...at least for some and for awhile...the real offenders will offend again.  It's, after all, who they are.