sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2015 11:23 am  #1

TV Is Punishment For Your Kids

If I owned a TV station, this might make me think twice about my future prospects. According to a new study, parents who want to punish their kids for wrongdoing are sentencing them to watch TV.

Yes, you read that right.

I'm sure many of us remember that when we misbehaved, mom or dad would send us to our room and rescind our TV watching privileges for a period of time. If you believe this latest data, the folks are now taking away their kid's iPad or tablet and forcing them to sit in front of the boob tube to punish them. Some of the young-uns apparently hate the old fashioned entertainment, because, as one kid put it in the U.K. newspaper The Telegram,"The iPad's cool, TV isn't that good, because you can't control it. Basically, the TV sucks." And so being forced to watch regular television becomes seen as punishment.   

Talk about changing times. Problem is, all these little ones will soon grow up to become big consumers. And if they see TV as punishment, the future for traditional broadcasters would seem even more grim than any of us imagined.

[url=http://www.minerandcostudio.com/#!insights-and-ideas/c1b3v]Television is Now the Second Screen for Kids with Tablets[/url] 

July 9, 2015 11:31 am  #2

Re: TV Is Punishment For Your Kids

What's old is new again, actually. 
When I was a kid, being pusished could easily mean being sent to my room, but there was still the option of being grounded from my atari 2600 and being forced to watch TV, but only the TV that is chosen by a baby sitter or the parent(s).
Depending on what was airing on PBS, there just might have been some torture there, even then! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 9, 2015 3:01 pm  #3

90-something percent of ALL available TV viewing choices add up to punishment no matter what your age.  But heh!!!   As long as idots turn on their box the shareholders will be satiated.

What did Don Henley sing in Dirty Laundry about crap being king?  S'true.  [except that "we" don't all know it.]

July 9, 2015 4:29 pm  #4

Old Codger wrote:

90-something percent of ALL available TV viewing choices add up to punishment

out of curiosity, what programs comprise the 0 - 10% that you enjoy?

curious geo

July 9, 2015 5:19 pm  #5

Hot in Cleveland is a hoot

July 9, 2015 7:06 pm  #6

Football.  I liked Backstrom a LOT.  Thought it was quite smart.  Well written.  But?  Gone. Cancelled.  I like the Blacklist.  Used to enjoy Corner Gas.  [the movie fell a little too short]  Used to like The West Wing.

Can't stand comedies that aren't funny.  There are loads of those.  'Suits' is good but I have to pay extra to get that channel.  No sense putting it on a main channel.  'Reality'  [reality my arse]  TV is a waste of time.  NO exceptions.  News is too soft.  Can't expose anything which might piss off the sponsors so they fill it with mayonaise 'stories'.  Sports 'news' [tsn/sn] is way too much about the 'presenters' and not enough about the subject matter.  [There's only one Bob McCown]  TV filler movies are pretty much drivel.  And re-showing the same 20-25 real movies over and over/forever is just dumb.  Zzzzzzzzzz.  The Godfather franchise.  The Bourne whatevers...well done but talk about TV overkill.  Then there's life is like a box of chocolates filled with sleeping pills.  THAT stuff.

Springsteen NAILED this topic.  Except now there's more than 10 times the 57 channels from back when he sang about 'it'.  There's about 30% less in terms of what's supposed to be decent or adequate choice to share amongst [now] the hundreds upon hundreds of 'signals' made available for potential couch potatos.  Is THAT why we have so many infomercials?  That's of any value?  To whom?

Too few owners.  Less competition even though we have ALL of those channels.  Now it's way too much of how do you like YOUR crap?  With gravy?  Relish?  Plain?  Maybe with a side of cottage cheese?  Musturd?

There are few nights that I bother turning the TV on...unless I'm watching a dvd...or go to on demand and watch 4 or 5 episodes in a row of the 3 or 4 shows I like.  Then I wait a month and a half [or more] to do it again.  No commercials too.  That makes money how?  That serves sponsors how?  Too bad.  If you can find a decent radio station [one which plays music instead of that yammering foolishness] you might reach me.

[but call me on the phone to sell me ANYTHING and I'll abuse you beyond repair]

Yup.  TV is punishment alright.  Just...not for kids alone.  For all the 'good' it usually serves up you might just as well stand facing the corner.  Sit there too long watching and your arse'll be as sore as if it was wacked.  I'll bet if kids called C.A.S. they'd come and take 'em away.  Who the phuque do I call?

Last edited by Old Codger (July 9, 2015 7:21 pm)

July 9, 2015 7:43 pm  #7

TCM.  Classic movies when Hollywood had creativity and talent.

July 10, 2015 12:03 am  #8

True Mike [old chum]...but THAT channel costs extra.

July 10, 2015 12:06 am  #9

Old Codger wrote:

True Mike [old chum]...but THAT channel costs extra.

Depends on the package you take. Rogers has some new packages. I was a VIP customer, but recently switched over to one of their newer offerings. I didn't select one with TCM but I do like some of the choices I got.
Maybe Rogers is trying to get me hooked on some new channels just in time for individual channel billing? lol

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 10, 2015 12:07 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 10, 2015 7:35 am  #10

Old Codger wrote:

THAT channel costs extra.

\

The system in Athens, Greece is better; everything is free

July 10, 2015 7:44 pm  #11

I don't have the Rodgers option.  Sorry for my luck.  When I did have the TCM choice it was exercised and then watched with some degree of frequency...especially by my mother in law.  Me?  I used it perhaps twice a week on average.

Last edited by Old Codger (July 10, 2015 7:46 pm)