sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2017 1:19 pm  #1

montreal pop/rock radio beginnings

This may get deleted because it is about radio beyond the SOWNY geographical boundary, however as our Sr. Moderator hasn't been seen here in some time, maybe I'll get away with it:

1050 CHUM went "top 50" in May of '57
980 CKGM Montreal launched in Dec. '59
1410 CFUN in Vancouver went "top 40" in 1960

The question is, did Montreal and Vancouver have what we today know as pop/rock radio prior to the dates stated above?

December 6, 2017 5:00 pm  #2

Re: montreal pop/rock radio beginnings

CKWX 1130 Vancouver was Top 40 from 1958 to 1962.

December 6, 2017 6:34 pm  #3

And 580 CKEY began spinning the 'hits' when?  Sometime in '58 too I think.  I listened to them as well as CHUM until they went 'blue hair.' [and heavier news too]  I used to collect CHUM Charts and the old Silver Dollar Survey.  Then 'EY cut back to their single leaf chart as they 'petered' away and fell further and further behind...Then CHUM did too...thus igniting 680 CHFI and prompting CFTR.  That's what it was...the charts.

I wonder who was spinning the Everlys, Bill Haley [etc] way back when we would trek from Toronto to Lucknow to visit the family there?  Somewhere along the way...there and back...we heard the hits on the car radio way back then-ish.

December 7, 2017 2:15 pm  #4

Let me try to remember my 'early years' in Montreal.
Prior to CKGM in 1959, Montreal had pop/rock 'shows' as opposed to 'formats'.
Mike Stephens had a daily show on CJAD 800 from 4:00 PM till 5:00 PM. He also had 'Club 800' on Saturdays (often from Belmont Park). These shows were aimed at Teens and played the hit parade exclusively. Not sure what CFCF 600 was offering Teens at this time
On bilingual CKVL 850 Verdun (a Montreal suburb), Leo Lachance hosted a daily 'hit parade' show around 2:30 PM.
I believe that CJMS 1280 was licenced around the same time as CKGM. It had a 'hit parade' format, though broadcasting in French.

December 8, 2017 3:56 pm  #5

I'll add a few recollections to Damian's post.

Mike Stevens/Stephens Club 800 began playing "rock" music in the spring of 1956 following on the heels of Elvis' national  TV debut in Jan 1956. Apparently Club 800 existed from the late 1940s  targeting the after school crowd with pre-rock music they thought young people favored. Club 800 featured in studio reps from various Montreal high schools. The out of studio weekend show/dance I remember most was at the  Pointe St Charles Boys and Girls club. This was a big deal - Mike frequently brought in NYC R&B acts who were playing local clubs eg The Esquire Show Bar. My own high school band, The Bristols, performed on the same stage as one of these "name" acts. That was the pinnacle of our career. 

Around the same time as Club 800,  CKVL's Palmares American played rock charts starting at 6:30PM to 7:30PM or 8PM each weekday. Hosted by Leon Lachance.

These two shows were pretty much all us young folks had on radio until CKGM went full time Rock in 1959. I think CKGM still  included adult pop along with the young peoples' rock music.

One other short lived broadcast occurred before 1959. A small station in Cowansvile played early evening rock in 1957 and 1958. Reception was tricky in Montreal. I remember that  station  for debuting  two songs in particular - Raunchy by Bill Justis and Rumble by Link Wray.

Montrealers  with antennas were able to watch American Bandstand from Poland Spring Maine starting (probably) in 1957.

I don't think the Plattsburg and Burlington radio stations offered Rock that early. They may have started in 1959 but by them we had CKGM.

December 9, 2017 5:39 pm  #6

Old Codger wrote:

I wonder who was spinning the Everlys, Bill Haley [etc] way back when we would trek from Toronto to Lucknow to visit the family there?  Somewhere along the way...there and back...we heard the hits on the car radio way back then-ish.

1958/59 was before Hwy 401 was built so you likely cruised down Hwy 86 to the K-W area, where (although daytime programming was a mixed bag) Jack Schoone and Grant Hoffman hosted excellent rock 'n roll request programs on AM 1490 CKCR, Thursday/Friday evenings and weekends to the delight of the "Cruizin King Street" crowd

December 9, 2017 5:48 pm  #7

michael gouthro wrote:

I remember that  station  for debuting  two songs in particular - Raunchy by Bill Justis and Rumble by Link Wray   

Every SOWNY contributor who remembers Bill Justis & Link Wray deserves special recognition today (although "grilled.cheese" is probably pulling his hair out now)