sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2015 11:29 am  #1

Canadian Soccer Channel Kicks The Bucket

Don't know how many here are into soccer or ever subscribed to Gol TV, but the matches are about to go out. The company behind the station has requested a revocation of its broadcasting licence and on Tuesday, the CRTC agreed. I don't know what their numbers were, but I always thought soccer had a huge following here and would be able to survive - especially with the coming of pick and pay. Apparently not. 

I'm not sure how many services still carry the outlet, but they'll be off cable and satellite in Canada by the end of August.

July 7, 2015 11:58 am  #2

Re: Canadian Soccer Channel Kicks The Bucket

One less channel to get people to say yes to Rogers Extra sports pack, I guess... 
(which, btw is still not a bad deal @ $76.98/month, including one bonus free Premium channel)

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 7, 2015 11:59 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 7, 2015 1:24 pm  #3

I need a tissue.....

July 7, 2015 1:27 pm  #4

I'm thinking this will be the start of a cascade as channels hit their year-end in a few weeks and realize that with the tier changes ahead, they just can't justify their existence.   There's probably a good argument as to whether they should have been licensed in the first place.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 7, 2015 7:33 pm  #5

So, does this mean that Rogers & others will now carry BEIN sports as a replacement this fall?
It's where a lot of the soccer seems to be going anyway... 
beIN: http://www.beinsports.tv/

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 7, 2015 7:34 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 7, 2015 9:29 pm  #6

Turned on TSN [I only get 1 TSN channel in my basic cable package] the other night, Friday I think, to watch some CFL action.  Instead I got women's soccer.  Overtime....30 minutes worth...plus...stop time.  Who cares?  Finally when the paint had, at long last, dried and the game had completely ended and gone through every possible end of presentation nuance they could squeeze in just to piss the CFL fans off completely I got the game I was supposed to have been watching.  But only for awhile.  At 10:00 'they' cut away to give me White Caps soccer against who gives a rat's arse?

White Caps soccer?  THAT bumps the CFL off of the main TSN channel?  WTF?  No wonder TSN lost out to Rogers' little sports feed in the ratings.

OK...I get that 'the beautiful game' has a whole lot more to do with the foot than football...but generally speaking...what a YAWN festival.

If that 'stage' for extremely bad actors pretending to be injured takes over...it'll be official.  Canada will be dead.

Fortunately [and I didn't even know there was one...like I'd give a 'trout'] the soccer channel's demise should send out a pretty clear signal.  And it says..."NO THANK YOU". [idiots]

July 8, 2015 5:38 am  #7

Old Codger wrote:

White Caps soccer against who gives a rat's arse?     White Caps soccer?     THAT bumps the CFL off of the main TSN channel?    WTF?

BC Lions beat the Blue Bombers, in Winnipeg on Sun. Sept 9, 1979.    While that CFL game was taking place, the entire population of Vancouver (so it seemed) was at Robson Square to welcome the WhiteCaps home from defeating the Tampa Bay Rowdies for the NASL championship, the day before.     What a party.    A few plants got trampled but no windows were broken & no cars overturned even though alcohol was definitely a factor    

BC Place was built as a result.     A beautiful game

July 8, 2015 11:52 pm  #8

Only in Vancouver Geo.  Not Canada wide.  It can be a beautiful game.  Just not often enough.