Offline
What once seemed unthinkable is now reality in some markets - including WKBW in Buffalo. Scripps Television has been dropping those familiar TV anchors, instead presenting their 6 & 11 PM newscasts with reporters doing all the heavy lifting. They introduce their own stories, often divided only by a graphic.
It's meant Scripps has been able to pare down its payroll, while still maintaining an on-air news presence.
"Last month, Scripps told 268 employees their jobs were being eliminated, bringing the total reduction of its workforce to about 12% this year. While some anchors, producers and editors in the studios lost their jobs, the company said it has been hiring more reporters, and at higher salaries than before. The overall number of journalists reporting from the field is up 10% since 2022, according to Scripps."
Could this come to Canada? I believe it already did, once. I recall City TV Toronto experimented with a form of the idea several years ago but it was not met with great applause and didn't last long. Now its "CityNews" features the usual guy or gal behind a desk throwing to a reporter story.
I was never a fan of the anchorless format, but I can't help but wonder if it's the wave of the future, as TV news attracts fewer eyeballs but increasingly costs more to produce.
TV News Without Anchors: Reporters Take Mic at Scripps Stations
Offline
The steaming service "Citynews 24/7 already does something like this.