Offline
It's hard to remember, but a would-be Toronto mayoral candidate, who will never be elected, is back and advertising on radio. His name is Edward Gong and his name was everywhere during the previous campaign. I remember seeing rows of his signs on Bathurst St. as I was driving somewhere, and a series of billboards in select places, all of which must have cost him a small fortune.
And on Monday morning, I actually heard him running an ad on CFRB.
Gong is the owner of a TV station called Canada National Television that almost no one has ever heard of. He actually came in 11th in the 2021 election and God knows where he'll place in the November vote.
He's a controversial figure with his ties to China, and it's baffling that he's doing this again, no doubt facing the exact same finish.
I'm not sure what the ad cost him, whether he's targeting other radio stations or if you'll be hearing these commercials again. But I'm sure the medium will welcome any new source of revenue. Keep an ear out for it. If nothing else, it's good for a laugh.
‘The Gong Show is back,’ Edward Gong is officially running for Toronto mayor again, and the signs are everywhere
Offline
I remember this guy flooding the city with his signs to the point of being irritating. You’d think that his dismal results last elections would discourage him from wasting his money, again. Oh, and a footnote to his sign bombardment, many of them were not removed post elections, I remember a cluster of them that were around until I saw city park staff pulling them up a few weeks after.
Haven’t heard his radio ad yet but I’m sure I will!
Offline
Spoke too soon, I have now heard it a few times in the last couple of days. It’s the three “Gong”s on the tail that is going to drive me nuts. I’m pretty sure it’s the only municipal elections spot I’ve heard so far though, the onslaught (of ads) is yet to come!
Offline
gotta launder the $$$ $omewhere
Offline
If you're wondering why you haven't seen any of this guy's signs yet, it's because the official start of the "sign wars" doesn't start until Thursday. Expect to see the Gong show on display everywhere if the last vote was any indication.
Ready or not, here it comes.