sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2015 9:09 am  #1

Living through the first 24 hours of Beats 1 radio

At the risk of soundling like an oatmeal crisp commercial..  "It's not radio!"  Radio is the wireless transmission of signals through free space by electromagnetic radiation of a frequency significantly below that of visible light, in the radio frequency range, from about 30 kHz to 300 GHz..  but,  as John Parikhal pointed out, Apple is already censoring the music.  So maybe it is radio .

(Via The Verge)

Worldwide. Always On. One hundred countries. Listen to Beats 1 for more than a few songs and without fail someone will get on a mic to remind you the global reach of Apple Music's tentpole radio station. But while the ambition is there, does Beats 1 translate globally? Turns out, The Verge is also worldwide and always on. So we tasked some of our writers both in the US and internationally — specifically London, Tokyo, and Paris — to listen to the first 24 hours of Beats 1 radio. This is a running log.

12:02PM ET It's just past noon on a beautiful sunny day in New York City, I'm at Verge HQ sitting next to a wireless speaker, and just two minutes shy of its scheduled launch time, Beats 1 is on the air. The station had been streaming Brian Eno's Music For Airports prior to its first broadcast, which I realized later was perfect for a pre-Beats world, due to its lack of lowercase beats.

BBC Radio vet Zane Lowe is our first DJ, broadcasting from LA, and he already sounds like he's been marathon pledge-driving for the past 24 hours. His first track is "City", a song from a UK band called Spring King that I have never heard of.

"And just like that, to one hundred countries around the world..." RADIO!!

More...

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 4, 2015 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Living through the first 24 hours of Beats 1 radio

i remember when i was refinishing our decks (around 5 years ago... and i'm in the middle of doing them again) when our neighbors' son had some friends over at the backyard pool. they were listening to a house music internet station, based in europe (i can't remember where). i wasn't crazy about the music but the shout outs to different listeners, from around the world, was impresive. the "station" also had a professional sound (unlike young billy in the basement playing radio).  the world is getting smaller and smaller.

July 4, 2015 10:17 pm  #3

More on the censorship...
(Via Sentinel Republic)

Once the install is complete, users sign up and go through a special setup that lets them choose what music they’re into.

Don’t expect to hear any naughty words on Apple’s newly-launched Beats1 radio station: The 24-hour live radio program, which the company launched Tuesday as part of its new Apple Music service, only plays clean versions of explicit songs.

Beats Music subscribers can migrate their music libraries to Apple Music while Spotify and Rdio subscribers can try this to migrate playlists as well, 9to5mac said.

It is not an exaggeration at all to call iOS 8.4 Apple’s most important iOS update so far.

The app will have all your music in one place – your iTunes purchases, ripped CDs and the Apple catalogue with 30 million songs. The radio station will remain free, even for users who do not pay the $9.99 a month to stream artists, and Apple has made the service integral to its latest operating system on iPhones.

Many Wall Street analysts have been predicting that Apple iTunes and Apps with a 90 percent profit margin and now contributing 10 percent of company revenue, would grow to 20 percent of Apple profit by 2020.

Music streaming may be big business now, but not all artists are immediately on board to have their entire catalog available for the world on various platforms, without actually paying for them per se. If you’re not quite sure you’re ready to commit to Apple Music financially just yet, make sure you have the auto-renew feature turned off within the app’s account settings so you don’t end up with an accidental charge.

“I sometimes think it’s counterproductive for these acts”, says music journalist and author Alan Light. It’s just like Spotify or the other streaming music services. This offers you a list of artists that you can “follow”.

One last thing though-down at the bottom is the Radio tab. The more you listen, the better For You gets. You can comment on or love anything an artist has posted, and the artist can respond to you directly.

If you’re not interested in Apple Music, or simply annoyed given it also makes accessing your own playlists a two-tap process, head to Settings>Music. To re-imagine radio with a 24/7, global station. Nielsen’s sales data estimated that the number of songs listeners streamed increased by +54 percent in 2014, but it grew by +91 percent in the first 25 weeks of this year. That’s not anything different than any other streaming service out there, but definitely something you should keep in mind, especially if Apple Music is the first music streaming service you’re trying out.

More...

July 4, 2015 10:20 pm  #4

Free Beats!
(Via Diffuser)

Earlier this year, we told you about an app called 6 Seconds that taps into radio station streams. Users pick songs they want to hear, and the app scans streams and finds a station that’s playing the song, all within six seconds.

Well, the app is still chugging along, and it’s got a new feature that surely has Apple’s lawyers clamoring for their pens: It’s called FreeBeats1, and plays the same music as Apple’s Beats 1 radio station without the talking and the promos.

The app’s creator is Michael Robertson, a music industry rabble rouser whose previous MP3tunes.com project was sued into oblivion by the major labels. “FreeBeats1 monitors Apple’s Beats1 station and plays the same tunes but without the disruptive DJ banter,” wrote Robertson in a post on his website. “Unlike Beats1, it does not require an iOS device or registering with an AppleID to listen. Any Android or iOS user can listen and no registration is required.”

The question of whether playlists are copyrightable is an open one, but there’s no question Beats1 is an Apple trademark. The app is, of course, available via the Apple App Store. It’ll be fun to watch how this one plays out.

More...

July 5, 2015 7:34 pm  #5

I really like what I'm hearing BUT
a "global" radio station that is only live 12 hours a day?  Wow.  Just wow.

Last edited by Sunny (July 5, 2015 7:34 pm)