Offline
I try to keep politics off here as most know,, and I dread re-opening Pandora's Box, but to my knowledge, this is completely unprecedented in the history of broadcasting - a major TV network essentially going to war against the FCC.
It comes as the U.S. government is trying to force "The View" to have representatives of the far right side of the political spectrum on the show by invoking The Fairness Doctrine - even though that rule was revoked back in 1987. But even in its heyday, the Doctrine exempted talk shows from having to play to both sides.
But that's just the beginning. The highly politicized FCC is now trying to take ABC owned stations away from the network, challenging their licences years earlier than their renewal date. That includes major outlets in New York City, L.A. and Chicago, which are all network owned.
So ABC is now running promos on those stations and the View asking for viewers to help stop what they see as an abuse of power and censorship.
I've been following U.S. TV for years and this is, to me, unprecedented. I will be surprised if a court doesn't undo any rulings that the White House might push through, but it's a very dangerous shot across the bough of press freedom and unlike anything I ever thought I'd see in North America. Wow.
Whatever happens next, this may be the most interesting reality show on ABC in decades.
ABC to Rally Viewers in FCC Battle With TV Spots on ‘The View’
Offline
"Unlike anything I ever thought I'd see in North America. Wow." This has got nothing to do with the rest of North America. It is solely about American politics, the FCC and a US broadcasting issue.
Offline
SOWesternNewYork is part of our topic area, isn't it? I mean, we have two ABC affiliates nearby.
Last edited by Jody Thornton (June 22, 2026 2:02 pm)
Offline
Jody Thornton wrote:
SOWesternNewYork is part of our topic area, isn't it? I mean, we have two ABC affiliates nearby.
I wasn't talking about not discussing the issue. I was referring to lumping this US only situation to include all of North America. Maybe something like "unlike anything I ever thought I'd see in the US. Wow." would have been accurate.
Nit picking? Maybe, but please don't drag Canada and the rest of North America into an America only issue. The Buffalo and Rochester ABC affiliates are not owned by the network and not involved with the FCC attempting to remove the stations owned by ABC/Disney.
Offline
The media in the usa is to far-left or to far-right.
You have fox news for the far-right nio-nazies, msnbc for the far-left, antifa, and islamists, cnn for islamists, cbs for the brainwashed, and abc for the far-left crybabbies/the ladies of the view.
If you want to know how tragic the u.s media landscape is, just look up sky news australia's lefties loosing it on youtube, but, the only thing I don't like about that show is they have a pro-trump byus for an australian news network.
PBS is the only reasonable american media outlet and trump is atacking it.
Our media landscape, the media landscape in australia, and commercial news in the u.k is more reasonable and less byused than the u.s.
For the americans on this forum, what's your prefured newscast or cable news channel if any?
Offline
paterson1 wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
SOWesternNewYork is part of our topic area, isn't it? I mean, we have two ABC affiliates nearby.
I wasn't talking about not discussing the issue. I was referring to lumping this US only situation to include all of North America. Maybe something like "unlike anything I ever thought I'd see in the US. Wow." would have been accurate.
Nit picking? Maybe, but please don't drag Canada and the rest of North America into an America only issue. The Buffalo and Rochester ABC affiliates are not owned by the network and not involved with the FCC attempting to remove the stations owned by ABC/Disney.
Disney is greedy anyways.
There pricehikes for espn and there desputes with cable providers are good examples.
Glad bell's not that greedy to pricehike tsn.
Disney neads restructuring and to get rid of the lefties and sjws on the teem.
Offline
I think you're missing the point. It's not whether a show or a station leans left or right. It's that a government is openly trying to censor a supposedly free press. I never watch The View, but they have the right to express their opinions just like anyone else without the heavy hammer of government threatening to figuratively take their mics away.
This is very dangerous and cannot be allowed to succeed, because where will it end? That's why I find this so alarming.
Fortunately, I'm confident this will never survive a court challenge.
Offline
paterson1 wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
SOWesternNewYork is part of our topic area, isn't it? I mean, we have two ABC affiliates nearby.
I wasn't talking about not discussing the issue. I was referring to lumping this US only situation to include all of North America.
Nit picking? Maybe, but please don't drag Canada and the rest of North America into an America only issue.
So besides Canada and America, who else is “the rest of North America”?
Offline
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
The media in the usa is to far-left or to far-right.
You have fox news for the far-right nio-nazies, msnbc for the far-left, antifa, and islamists, cnn for islamists, cbs for the brainwashed, and abc for the far-left crybabbies/the ladies of the view.
If you want to know how tragic the u.s media landscape is, just look up sky news australia's lefties loosing it on youtube, but, the only thing I don't like about that show is they have a pro-trump byus for an australian news network.
PBS is the only reasonable american media outlet and trump is atacking it.
Our media landscape, the media landscape in australia, and commercial news in the u.k is more reasonable and less byused than the u.s.
For the americans on this forum, what's your prefured newscast or cable news channel if any?
Sidebar: Scarborough, you state that you are blind, and therefore use speech to text technology to provide your trenchant insight on this board. I'm sorry, but what software are you using that provides such extensive and relentless spelling and grammatical errors? Any speech-to-text I've ever used (I've used many) will auto-capitalize words like "australia" or correctly use "preferred" rather than "prefured", which is flat out not a word. Can you name the app you are using for this process?
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
paterson1 wrote:
Jody Thornton wrote:
SOWesternNewYork is part of our topic area, isn't it? I mean, we have two ABC affiliates nearby.
I wasn't talking about not discussing the issue. I was referring to lumping this US only situation to include all of North America.
Nit picking? Maybe, but please don't drag Canada and the rest of North America into an America only issue.
So besides Canada and America, who else is “the rest of North America”?
Believe it or not North America has a total of 23 countries. This includes Mexico, Cuba, The Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Costa Rica and more.
Last edited by paterson1 (June 23, 2026 9:07 am)
Offline
paterson1 wrote:
Shorty Wave wrote:
paterson1 wrote:
I wasn't talking about not discussing the issue. I was referring to lumping this US only situation to include all of North America.
Nit picking? Maybe, but please don't drag Canada and the rest of North America into an America only issue.
So besides Canada and America, who else is “the rest of North America”?Believe it or not North America has a total of 23 countries. This includes Mexico, Cuba, The Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Costa Rica and more.
My apologies, I stand corrected paterson1!
Offline
Trump is makeing america and its media like afghanistan and the dumb goof does'nt know he's doing it.
And people think carny's doing that, but the CRTC is not sencoring ctv or even right-of-centre talk radio which is a great thing for me as a right-of-centre person who does not fit into the far-right or far-left.
Offline
Fjiri wrote:
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
The media in the usa is to far-left or to far-right.
You have fox news for the far-right nio-nazies, msnbc for the far-left, antifa, and islamists, cnn for islamists, cbs for the brainwashed, and abc for the far-left crybabbies/the ladies of the view.
If you want to know how tragic the u.s media landscape is, just look up sky news australia's lefties loosing it on youtube, but, the only thing I don't like about that show is they have a pro-trump byus for an australian news network.
PBS is the only reasonable american media outlet and trump is atacking it.
Our media landscape, the media landscape in australia, and commercial news in the u.k is more reasonable and less byused than the u.s.
For the americans on this forum, what's your prefured newscast or cable news channel if any?Sidebar: Scarborough, you state that you are blind, and therefore use speech to text technology to provide your trenchant insight on this board. I'm sorry, but what software are you using that provides such extensive and relentless spelling and grammatical errors? Any speech-to-text I've ever used (I've used many) will auto-capitalize words like "australia" or correctly use "preferred" rather than "prefured", which is flat out not a word. Can you name the app you are using for this process?
I'm using Jaws for windows or NVDA on a pc in chrome.
Offline
Scarboroughbluffsradiof99 wrote:
The media in the usa is to far-left or to far-right.
You have fox news for the far-right nio-nazies, msnbc for the far-left, antifa, and islamists, cnn for islamists, cbs for the brainwashed, and abc for the far-left crybabbies/the ladies of the view.
If you want to know how tragic the u.s media landscape is, just look up sky news australia's lefties loosing it on youtube, but, the only thing I don't like about that show is they have a pro-trump byus for an australian news network.
PBS is the only reasonable american media outlet and trump is atacking it.
Our media landscape, the media landscape in australia, and commercial news in the u.k is more reasonable and less byused than the u.s.
For the americans on this forum, what's your prefured newscast or cable news channel if any?
ABC bent the knee to Trump a LONG time ago.The View is a TALK show, not a news broadcast. CBS is USELESS and becoming more irrelevant by the day. MS Now isn't as liberal as you THINK it is. Neither is CNN(and if the WBD/Paramount deal EVER gets sorted out, CBS & CNN will be under the same corporate umbrella). Ditto NBC News.
As for Australia: Sir, you have 2 companies who control the newspaper business and 4 main broadcasters. Sky News Australia is their answer to Fox News.
Last edited by ckg927 (June 23, 2026 7:03 pm)