sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2015 10:06 pm  #1

Nation's First FM Radio Station Dedicated To LGBT Community Launches I

I'm honestly surprised this is the first.  I would have assumed a place like San Francisco would have had one for years based on the population there.  I'm also surprised that it plays so hard into the stereotype of the flaming gay person doting on Madonna and Judy Garland.   It would be like me doing a female talk station only with recipes to make for when hubby gets home and vacuming tips.  I want to believe we've moved the needle a bit further than that..  on both examples.

(Via HuffPost)

The Minnesota airwaves just got a whole lot gayer. 

In June, iHeartMedia Minneapolis-St. Paul launched the nation's first FM radio station dedicated exclusively to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) listeners. The new 96.7 Pride Radio debuted, appropriately, with 24 straight hours of Madonna tunes June 11, followed by two weeks of non-stop commercial-free music -- namely pop hits and dance remixes by the likes of Sam Smith, Rihanna, Nick Jonas and more -- the next day.  

The new station is an FM broadcast extension of Pride Radio, iHeartRadio's digital LGBT channel, and listeners will recognize many of the same hosts, including Ricky, Delana, Houston, Pacey and Christie. Still, Hartley Adkins, Executive Vice President of Operations for iHeartMedia, said in a press release that the broadcast station will break fresh ground as "a place for amazing music and entertainment" as well as "a destination to express opinions, be heard and connect."

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

July 2, 2015 11:56 pm  #2

Re: Nation's First FM Radio Station Dedicated To LGBT Community Launches I

HOW effin' glad I am that I'm not gay.  Madonna?  Shoot me.  Thrice.  One day we'll talk about S T U P I D friggin' acts booked for half-time at the Super Bowl and the Grey Cup.  [Including that dense fog called Madonna.]

Poor gays get typecast...and, as such, get stuck with shit music.  That ain't the way it 'swings' programmers.

Madonna!!!  Gag me with a snow shovel!!!

July 3, 2015 12:50 am  #3

I damn near spilled my night-cap when I saw  "96.7 Twin Cities Pride Radio" having grown up in Kitchener.  

But seriously, I have to wonder if it's too late.  As LGBTQ folks are coming into the mainstream, isn't it possible that they just want to be part of the mainstream community?  How is Toronto's Pride FM doing?

July 3, 2015 9:44 am  #4

Peter the K wrote:

I But seriously, I have to wonder if it's too late.  As LGBTQ folks are coming into the mainstream, isn't it possible that they just want to be part of the mainstream community?  How is Toronto's Pride FM doing? 

I agree, that was my thought.  Not that I'm part of the community or lifestyle etc so I honestly have no idea, but it feels like it's playing to a stereotype.  I'm quite confident there are millions of gay people who get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, watch TV and go to bed without feeling compelled to parade down the middle of church street wearing a thong and belting out Britney songs.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   There was an interesting movie last year called "Dear White People".  Maybe it's time for a "Dear Straight People" sequel.

July 3, 2015 9:45 am  #5