Offline
I don't often listen to CBC Radio 1, but I did on Saturday morning. And I'm not sure what was going on with their computer system. For at least three newscasts, the local weather, which comes at the end of each update, was unceremoniously cut off in mid-sentence.
It happened three times in a row, from 9 AM-noon and perhaps after that, when I stopped listening. It was very odd. You'd hear something like "The forecast for Toronto, cloudy today with a chance of showers in the later afternoon. On Sunday, it will be ----" and out. Then into the next show.
I'm aware CBC is run on a computer system that starts a show exactly on time to the second, and it doesn't matter what else is on the air when that moment comes. But when it happens three or four times on the same day, I'm thinking something is going wrong with the system. Not sure if it stayed that way all day, but it certainly was notable.
But then, with the weather we've been having lately, maybe it's better that nobody hears about it!
Offline
One of the worst offenders of the sort of problem in TV is Global National. Frequently, the anchor sign off and in a couple of cases I’ve seen, the reporter’s standup in the final segment have been “upcut” by the network clock. I can have some sympathy with an hourly radio newscast which often run a few seconds over and words get clipped at the end, but when it’s your marquee news package and you get one shot a day to get it right, you’ve got to do a better job.
Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (April 18, 2026 11:40 pm)