sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2026 9:41 pm  #1


A Plea To Global's Anthony Farnell: Turn Your Clocks Back

I complain about the weather forecasts on TV here way too much, but it's only because the Future Radar everybody uses is valuable to me. Global's Anthony Farnell is one of my favourite meteorologists working in this market and anything is better than the ad libbed mess that is CTV Toronto's mixed up weekend anchor forecast.

Farnell was in Sunday for some reason and while I appreciate his efforts, there is one thing he could do to make his weather forecast a lot more useful - get out of the f-ing way! 

Time after time, Global's maps feature a clock at the top right hand corner of the screen that approximates when a storm may be coming into the area. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. And time after time, the forecaster stands in front of that clock, completely blocking it from viewers. 

Take the example below that aired on Sunday's Global News at 6. Farnell is standing right in front of the clock graphic, and it's not only absolutely impossible to see anything but his head but you have no idea when that front is moving in. 

I've watched Global before. I know there's a version of that exact same map that has the clock on the left side of the screen, which does not block the view. Can they not use that one every time? 

I've said it before and it's worth repeating: what is the point of putting a graphic on TV if no one can see it? There's an easy solution to this - use the other one. Otherwise, it's cloudy for viewers. And it constantly rains on our weather parade. 

 

April 13, 2026 6:37 am  #2


Re: A Plea To Global's Anthony Farnell: Turn Your Clocks Back

Global audio was about 40 seconds behind the on screen video during yesterdays 6 pm newscast. I am an Eastlink customer. This is not uncommon for Eastlink when viewing any of the Plex channels  also. Very annoying.