sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 23, 2026 12:27 pm  #1


The Real Life Jock Who Inspired Harry Chapin's "W-O-L-D"

It's probably the best song ever made about the realities of radio and it became a classic for Harry Chapin in 1974.

The song, about a disc jockey who sacrifices family for his career by moving from market to market, while fictional, was inspired by a real DJ. He worked at WMEX in Boston at the time but also finished his career at WYSL in Buffalo. 

Here's his story.

 

March 24, 2026 6:28 am  #2


Re: The Real Life Jock Who Inspired Harry Chapin's "W-O-L-D"

I would think alot of dj's followed a similar path. My self, I started in Summerside PEI at 18, went to Halifax, St John's NFLD, Charlottetown, Midland Ont. and wrapped up my radio daze in Brampton. By that time I was 34, and started trucking  until 67. 

 

March 24, 2026 2:23 pm  #3


Re: The Real Life Jock Who Inspired Harry Chapin's "W-O-L-D"

Kirkland Lake, Lindsay, Midland, Kitchener, Oakville where I started part-time freelance voice work, then left radio, and after other pursuits, full-time freelance voice work since 1998.

 

March 26, 2026 10:33 am  #4


Re: The Real Life Jock Who Inspired Harry Chapin's "W-O-L-D"

I recall seeing Mr. Chapin at a concert at Alumni Hall in London probably early 80's.

When he sang that song, in a couple of verses he substituted the call letters WOLD with one or maybe more of the local stations. I cannot recall if it was CJBK, CKSL or CFPL or maybe all of them. He only did it a couple of time through the song still mostly using WOLD. I kind of thought it added some local flavour.