Offline
Earlier this week, Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow appeared on CFRB's morning show, and made a statement about the police that appeared to be later contradicted on 1010 by the Chief of Police himself. It was enough of a divide between the two that some intimated Chow was lying, although that word was never used.
Later in the day, I was listening to AM640 and one of the guests referred to the conversation by saying, "As she told John Moore," a reference I'm sure did not go over well with the folks at 640.
Then on Wednesday, the subject came up again. This time, it was morning show host Greg Brady himself who told listeners about the exchange on a "rival radio station."
Two mentions of the other guy in two days. That must be very satisfying for the folks at 1010, who often lose in the ratings race to their counterparts up the dial.
Offline
I always chuckle when the 680 anchor says "the time now is 10:10"
Offline
Used to be a big deal...even forbidden...but not anymore. CNN and FOX News just feed off of each other.
Offline
I may have mentioned this in a previous post, but this reminds me of the Top 40 war between WMCA and WABC New York, back in the 60s. WABC included their frequency (77) in many of their IDs and jingles, and were well known for it.
So WMCA, which was at 570, would never tell listeners during the summer that it was "77 degrees" outside, even if that's what the thermometer said. It would always be a temperature of either "76" or "78," regardless of whether that was true or not. They went to great lengths to avoid the number "77" so they wouldn't even hint at the station down the dial.
Offline
Yeah doing this is not a big deal anymore ...especially with how info is consumed and attained on so many more platforms and that these stations are hovering around a putrid 0.5 share...when we were on the air at MOJO 640 we used to tell people to switch the dial to CFRB to see how lame it was...sometimes we'd just leave dead air or play elevator music for 15 to 20 seconds to give listeners time to confirm it was lame and then tune back to us...of course back then RB had like an 8 share or something around there...we didn't care...the audiences were more than a little different between stations back then...we competed more with the FAN 590...nowadays both stations fight for the same shrinking, right wing, freedom convoy 'patriots'.
Offline
But of course it used to be a big deal. One of the greatest things I ever heard on radio was back in the 70s, when even admitting any other station existed was totally and completely verboten. It just wasn't done.
Until one night when the sun had just set in winter and I was listening to the great WNBC New York, at the time in a fierce (and losing battle) with arch-rival WABC. The great Bob "Vernon With A V" was doing afternoon drive opposite the legendary Dan Ingram.
From out of nowhere, WNBC came out of a spot break and listeners heard the classic jingle, in which the singers intoned "Dan Ingram! 77/WABCCCCCC!" There was a pause and then Vernon came back on the mic and said this in a wonderfully exaggerated deep baritone voice:
"Dan Ingram is not here. Nor do we know where you can find him. Thank you."
Into a WNBC jingle and a song.
It was so unexpected and so taboo, I was stunned. But I also laughed for the entire length of the tune. I simply could not believe he'd done that. I only wish I had it on tape. But to show you how ingrained that rule was, it's been dozens and dozens of years and I still remember that moment. At the time, it was incredible.
Offline
I think this is slightly related to this thread but when I log into CFRB on the iHeart app, an ad for CBC Gem pops up. I really don’t have a problem with that but you wouldn’t have seen that during TV’s golden years!