sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 8, 2017 7:06 pm  #1

Canadian Press

Is it just me, or does everyone at the Canadian Press speak in a monotone voice and sound like they're plugging their nose when delivering a hard hitting newscast?

May 8, 2017 8:40 pm  #2

Re: Canadian Press

I can’t speak for the people at CP, although I briefly worked at what used to be called Broadcast News way back in the 80s. The way the style was explained to me then was simple: the newscast airs on a lot of different stations, all with varying formats.

So a newscast you'd expect to run on a rock station might be different than one you’d hear on a classical music outlet. A country station might do an alternate kind of read from one that ends up on an all-talker. But CP only has the single newscast and so it has to be very generic, since they can’t match it to every format. Hence it sounds by necessity very plain.  

ABC in the U.S. used to have several different newscasts – Contemporary, Information etc. – to fit in with the formats they aired on. But even they gave it up eventually and now there’s only one national hourly.

That’s my best guess about why it sounds the way it does. But I don’t think they have much choice. Although I haven't noticed the nasal and monotone output you hear.. 

And by the way, the CP hourly newscast is no longer a 24-hour thing. They discovered not enough stations were taking it during the day, so they simply stopped doing it round the clock. It’s now mostly to cover shifts when there’s no one around – like weekends, evenings and overnights.

May 8, 2017 10:15 pm  #3

What you're saying occurred to me years ago when I started hearing their newscasts. There's certainly an art to being so generic, and I think that they do it very well.

May 9, 2017 9:39 am  #4

I'm biased, as I worked there for many years, but I think they do excellent work. It seems like yesterday when they started, but it has been nearly 38-and-a-half years since what was originally called the BNR (Broadcast News Report) started in January 1979. All of the original newscasters are gone - the last to leave was Bill Marshall just over a year ago. Bill was steady as a rock, and an overnight presence for many years. Howard Christensen and David Lang were also there at the very beginning, as was Will MacKenzie I believe (there were six all told at the beginning - I think Bill Kay was another).

The newscast was originally five minutes long including sports. For a couple of years in the '80s they had a separate sportscast on weekend afternoons, with a gap in between the newscast and sportscast for stations to insert commercials. As I recall, the BNR was carried over landlines in the very early days; the sound improved dramatically once they moved to satellite.

Before the BNR? Well that's going way back, but BN had "summary writers" 24-7 who wrote News Summaries and News Capsules (another editor would handle separates and everything was fed through the Main Desk editor). For a time in the '80s, they brought back the summary writers on weekday mornings from 4-11 a.m. and in the afternoon from 1-8 p.m. That lasted a couple of years at most.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 9, 2017 10:23 am)

"The radio craze ... will soon fade." - Thomas Edison, 1922

May 9, 2017 10:12 am  #5

That's all well and good but it doesn't take away from the boring, uninterested delivery. 

May 9, 2017 12:11 pm  #6

Who's better?

May 9, 2017 12:47 pm  #7

Taylor Parnaby

May 9, 2017 1:27 pm  #8

I miss Bill Marshall very much...

He was like an old pair of slippers...

And while I'm here is there any chance they could bring Chris Mayberry out of retirement???

No one has ever called on me to come out of retirement so it's quite a compliment to ask  Mr. Mayberry to consider doing so.

Isn't it??

Last edited by unclefester (May 9, 2017 1:36 pm)

"I'll kick your ass down Yonge Street"... CFTR's Robert Holiday circa 1979...

May 9, 2017 2:46 pm  #9

grilled.cheese wrote:

That's all well and good but it doesn't take away from the boring, uninterested delivery. 

We tried very hard to make it generic (RadioActive is 100% correct) but not boring. Can't please everyone, I know that.
What I will say is that the newscasters are responsible each hour for a whole lot more than just the newscast.  There is also an obligation to write a full wire service newswatch item.  They also have to edit audio skeds that move on the wire.  Some hours, they have to record and edit a 60-second business report.  Each newscast, news update and sports segment has to be pre-recorded, produced and uploaded.  It's a helluva lot to cram into each hour.  Gone are the days of getting into the studio five minutes before air to pre-read copy and hone a delivery.  Today, burnout factor is a constant threat, which is one way of answering grilled.cheese's charge.
And it also answers fester's question (thanks for the shoutout - yes, a great compliment!).  But I wasn't shy about pointing out the challenges.  I'm sure CP would rather hire a corpse than ever bring me back. 

Last edited by maybo (May 9, 2017 10:37 pm)

May 9, 2017 9:59 pm  #10

I think they'd hire you and a corpse before they'd re-hire me.

May 9, 2017 10:35 pm  #11

dieter wrote:

I think they'd hire you and a corpse before they'd re-hire me.

Depends how old the corpse is!