sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2017 2:54 pm  #1

Night Walk and Night Ride on Global

Many in Ontario and Western New York surfing through channels in the middle of the night in the 80's may recall a unique series of shows instead of a test pattern - Night Walk, Night Ride and Night Moves on Global TV. The same three episodes, set to jazz music while a steadicam roamed the streets of downtown Toronto, ran nightly from 1986 to 1993. All complete episodes can be seen streaming at mynightwalk.com - I thought it might be of interest with the recent post about Sam The Record Man signs being restored on Yonge Street. These shows inspired me to visit Toronto when I lived in St. Thomas and they first began airing.

March 16, 2017 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Night Walk and Night Ride on Global

grilled.cheese - That one is a great condensed version of Night Walk, my favorite of the three.The stream I linked to in my post is good for leaving on for a long period of time since the full episodes are playing in a three-hour loop.

March 16, 2017 5:53 pm  #3

This was pure genius because (as I heard it) the music rights were owned by Global, so they were collecting SOCAN fees for hours and hours each night rather than a tone and test pattern!

March 16, 2017 6:56 pm  #4

zed wrote:

This was pure genius because (as I heard it) the music rights were owned by Global, so they were collecting SOCAN fees for hours and hours each night rather than a tone and test pattern!

Indeed it was, as outlined in this 2015 article:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-thursday-edition-1.3074402/creators-look-back-on-late-night-toronto-tv-classic-night-moves-1.3074409

(To cross-reference another thread, who else but the CBC would do a story about a competing broadcaster?)

It was mentioned in the CBC piece that the music was written by Global vice-president of production, Michael Spivak.   I believe he also was responsible for this:

I always thought that music was a piece of genius.

March 16, 2017 8:48 pm  #5

Lazy-but-profitable? Sounds like a winning formula!

March 17, 2017 1:12 pm  #6

Cool to see the neon lights at the Yorkdale Subway station in working order.  
Of the businesses along Yonge - Sams is gone, A&A is gone the one prominnet survivor is the Zanzibar. Even the Yonge Street Mission has relocated even if it's sign remains.

March 17, 2017 1:23 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

I always thought that music was a piece of genius.

As a Kid I was glued to this show, loved it.  The music still sends shivers.  I agree on the genius part.

Though you have to feel for the poor bugger who had to do all the letraset setup in the intro.  Imagine lining all that stuff up.  No easy CG back then.    Though they did get some spiffy ones later on.  There was a Philips Video IV in the news studio (Studio 3 CR) that did pretty amazing effects for the early 80's.  Fn-qwert c/r and Fn-asdfg for the red Global logo.  It was also the one master control upstairs used for all their lower third and bugs, so you had to check if they would be using it if it wasn't during the 'news' blocks. 

There was also a Richmond Hill switcher in there, and till many MANY years later, I figured they must be made just north of Toronto .

I can remember that, but not what I had for dinner yesterday.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.