sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2015 1:04 pm  #1

CTV: When News Promos Lie

I realize that when it comes to selling your show on TV, hype springs eternal. But really, the promo I just watched on CTV's noon news Tuesday crosses a line for me. It shows anchor/reporter Colin D'Mello at the scene of a dramatic fire rescue and then shifts to some now famous security video of a driver losing control of his car and the vehicle literally flying through the air into a nearby garage. This happened about a month ago and I'm sure you've seen it by now.

Which is exactly my problem with their promo. The tag line boasts that CTV has "exclusive video you won't see anywhere else!" Except that I did see it everywhere else. On the day it happened, it was the lead on City TV, as well. And it was on Global, CHCH and just about any place else that even attempts a newscast. It was also aired on news shows across the U.S. You guys are calling that an exclusive? Really? Security footage - not even shot by your own crews - that everybody and his uncle had?

If Brian Williams can be suspended and demoted for exaggerating on air, it seems to me CTV's promo department should take a closer look in the mirror. Because just like that now disgraced NBC anchor, if you can't believe this story, how can we possibly be expected to believe the next one? 

June 23, 2015 3:54 pm  #2

Re: CTV: When News Promos Lie

It hasn't been ALL about the NEWS for years.  It's only ALL about "the SHOW".  Once  news became "the show"...it stopped being the news.  So the promos don't really matter and haven't for a long time.

The lie is to even suggest that it's a newscast.  Once upon a time...but not now.  The end.

June 23, 2015 4:05 pm  #3

First rule of journalism... Never let the facts stand in the way of telling a good story.

June 23, 2015 6:16 pm  #4

Heart-warming report on CTV news @ 6:00 about Whitby nursing home replacing one that burned; not often that nursing home staff get credit for their efforts rather than being shat upon   

June 23, 2015 6:38 pm  #5

still another look @ today's top stories:

BABY TURTLES RELEASED IN PICKERING

could you people be too cynical?

June 25, 2015 8:14 am  #6

Tonight at 6, Sad news out of Markham, as we report live from the makeshift memorial, still No survivors reported after a drone crashes into an abandoned shed.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.