sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2017 2:23 pm  #1

Rogers Scoops Bell In B.C., But May Need A New Licence To Do It

This is a huge story out in B.C., after Rogers scooped up the radio rights to the Vancouver Canucks from longtime home TSN, which out there is on 1040 AM. What makes the story so intriguing to me, though, is that Rogers admits it really has no place to put the coveted games - and may have to create a so-far non-existent Sportsnet radio station to house their new prize. How they plan to do that is, at the moment, completely up in the air.

From The Province newspaper:

"Rogers does not yet have a radio station to broadcast the Canucks.

It owns News 1130 AM, but isn’t likely to mess with a profitable station that leads the Metro Vancouver market in news and traffic.

Rogers’ local FM properties are KISS 104.9 and JACK 96.9 — both music stations.

It seems to make little sense to acquire Canuck radio rights, monopolizing the team’s broadcasts, without an all-sports station like 1040 to drive listeners."

My guess? They'll either try to buy an existing station and convert it to another Fan, or else it will end up on their all news outlet, where it will be pretty disruptive to an established format. But that's easier than applying for a new AM frequency that could take years to get. Either way, it's a nice problem to have and I'm sure the folks at Bell are not pleased to see one of their star attractions stolen away by an arch-rival.

Rogers swoops, scoops Bell as Canucks move radio rights to Sportsnet

March 10, 2017 3:56 pm  #2

Re: Rogers Scoops Bell In B.C., But May Need A New Licence To Do It

It should be noted that there are 2 TSN Radio outlets in Vancouver [the only place in Canada they have 2].
1040 & 1410

March 10, 2017 4:56 pm  #3

I'm guessing Bell will sell 1410 to Rogers. 
There's less bread and butter now for Bell, so why hold onto two AM sports stations in BC?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 10, 2017 5:03 pm  #4

Well, you could be right - but then again, maybe Bell will want to hang onto 1410 just to make it that much harder on Rogers. It will be probably be more fun to watch this contest than the Canucks themselves.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Vancouver market, but I have to wonder if Corus would consider surrendering CKLG. It's a huge signal and is a former market leader. How much money and ratings can an all-traffic format pull in?

Last edited by RadioActive (March 10, 2017 5:07 pm)

March 10, 2017 6:41 pm  #5

If Rogers is looking for an AM home, another possibility is Corus's under-utilized AM 730 all traffic station. I am not certain if they are back up to full 50,000 Watts power though, since their site fire last year. 

March 10, 2017 8:15 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

There's less bread and butter now for Bell, so why hold onto two AM sports stations in BC?

Because it prevents Rogers from using it to destroy 1040. They won't sell 1410.

March 10, 2017 10:53 pm  #7

Ahhh Bell.  When it comes to TV, radio, sports properties and broadcast rights...you know...the business of 'doing' media...they're a kind of 'o.k.-ish' telephone company...quickly racing toward relative and overall obscurity.

Rogers?  They're just spending money that will one day come back to hit them squarely twixt the eyes...like a multi billion dollar sledge hammer.

March 11, 2017 5:25 pm  #8

Don wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

So someone should rent Rogers a frequency...? 
AM 730 makes good sense. It will be interesting to see what Corus thinks of all this.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 11, 2017 5:48 pm  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

Don wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

So someone should rent Rogers a frequency...? 
AM 730 makes good sense. It will be interesting to see what Corus thinks of all this.

Corus might be cooperative. After all, they did partner with Rogers for the Radioplayer app.