sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2017 4:16 pm  #1

Zoomer Fishbowl Radio

Zoomer radio now has a live video stream

I've always wondered about the value of live video of the DJ on a radio station.  Aside from the aspect of watching the announcer work in their fishbowl, perhaps seeing what they actually look like for the first time, is there any real value in it?

March 6, 2017 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Zoomer Fishbowl Radio

here's 10 hours of paint drying instead....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGA-GCq7JWM&t=70s

March 6, 2017 5:14 pm  #3

If I recall correctly, a long time ago City TV used to have a webcam trained on the newsroom. But what was really unusual about it was that a user could pan the camera around the entire place using the keyboard on their home computer and see what was going on in various areas, like the news desk, assignment, the camera area, etc. etc.

It was fairly popular for a while, but a friend told me it was finally discontinued because a) it wasn't worth the money to have it active and b) employees complained that they felt like they were being watched when they were eating lunch at their desk, scratching themselves in a less than dignified place, etc. etc.

I remember trying it and you really couldn't see anything but it was fun - the first time. After that, I never went back.

CFRB used to have a webcam that was fairly distant from the actual guy or gal on mic. It's gone now, too.

The surprising thing about the 740 cam is that it sits on a wide shot when there's a spot or a song and then cuts to a close-up on the on-air personality when the mic is on and the host speaks. I have to assume this is an automated process, since they wouldn't hire someone just to switch between one camera and the other.  

March 6, 2017 5:25 pm  #4

I'll be looking in to see if Libby has had any work done recently...

March 6, 2017 5:29 pm  #5

Wonder what you'll see when they're on auto pilot all night long. 

March 6, 2017 5:37 pm  #6

I'm guessing the video component that early in the morning won't make for a Happy Gang. 

March 6, 2017 9:09 pm  #7

I like it and I will never give any thought to it again.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

March 6, 2017 11:17 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Wonder what you'll see when they're on auto pilot all night long. 

@ shortly after 10 PM, looks like some production work is getting done. (?)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 7, 2017 11:55 am  #9

So the 10-11 a.m. hour is VTed. Figured it was. Not that there's anything wrong with that 

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 7, 2017 11:56 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 7, 2017 3:47 pm  #10

Interesting that they had someone in studio during the overnight period when the station is automated. Aren't most stations normally unmanned during automation?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 7, 2017 4:06 pm  #11

"'ve always wondered about the value of live video of the DJ on a radio station.  Aside from the aspect of watching the announcer work in their fishbowl, perhaps seeing what they actually look like for the first time, is there any real value in it?"

given the list of above posts, we now now know the full extent of viewership to Zoomer radio.....

March 7, 2017 6:16 pm  #12

Dale Patterson wrote:

Interesting that they had someone in studio during the overnight period when the station is automated. Aren't most stations normally unmanned during automation?

Overnight shift is opportunity for production to get some work done. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 7, 2017 6:49 pm  #13

Sick Sadie News used to have cameras all over the newsroom and in the control rooms.  The staff kept pointing them at the ceiling, out the window or to the floor.  The techs would come in and re-aim them and the staff would then point them away again.  Finally, management gave up and had them all removed.  This was the late '90s.