sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2017 2:59 pm  #1

This Could Only Happen In Small Town Radio

In a place, perhaps, like Smithers (no relation to the Simpsons) B.C., where a 10-year-old and an eight-year-old have been doing their own show once a week - for the past five years! This is a community radio station - CICK FM - that apparently broadcasts out of a train car. 

Diminutive radio veterans celebrate 200 shows

(The linked article, by the way, is from the Smithers Interior News and it's labelled as "Breaking News" at the top of the page. Which gives you an idea of how much apparently really goes on in Smithers and what they consider a big story.)  

They say everybody remembers their first time. (Although I think they might have been referring to something else...) I started in radio when I was just 15 and I thought that was young.

I guess the real question is, should the father be praised for getting his kids into the medium at such a young age or be charged with a form of child abuse? 

CICK 93.9

March 1, 2017 3:14 pm  #2

Re: This Could Only Happen In Small Town Radio

It's too early to charge Dad.  Sooner or later this experience will allow them to see the BIG picture and then make an informed decision regarding their future as earners and providers.  OR...it won't because with Community Radio you work for the audience...not some under-sized [often 'salivatingly' jealous]  'dink'.

March 1, 2017 8:22 pm  #3

I looked at the web site and you can't argue with a station that runs Democracy Now and has a show with Pet Sounds in the title.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 2, 2017 1:19 am  #4

it's also very interesting considering the station is seemingly operating under standard CRTC conditions of license for community radio, without promising more than what is required....

I think that speaks much to the innovative spirit of the ownership, regardless of revenue generation....