sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2017 11:04 pm  #1

Attention Radio Ad Copy Writers: Stop #$%^ Yelling At Us!

There have been a lot of complaints here over the years about terrible radio spots, from the Tom-Saul-Greg-Jack personal self-serving voice over testimonials to the Spence Diamond idiot’s unnecessary scream.

But a new nightmare has recently begun airing and I’ve noticed it has one thing in common with a few others that have also started to spring up – someone in the copy is constantly yelling at the listener. This latest ear-itation involves a woman screaming, “Hurry! Hurry Hurry!” followed seconds later by “Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap!”

Now I know it’s conventional wisdom that an annoying ad is supposed to get your attention but if that’s the case, this one doesn’t work. Despite hearing this terrible spot constantly on every station for the past week or so, I have no idea what it’s trying to sell me. That may be because when it comes on, I’m faster than Usain Bolt in changing the channel and I never hear the message or the name of the firm committing this audio outrage. And I never will.

I’m not sure if we have any ad execs or copy writers who frequent SOWNY, but I’m begging you: Stop #$%^ yelling at us! I’ve got my boss, my wife and my kids for that.

And I can assure you, we’ll all hear you a lot better if you'll just lower the volume.

February 27, 2017 8:21 am  #2

Re: Attention Radio Ad Copy Writers: Stop #$%^ Yelling At Us!

If I may...the one TV ad for the Canadian Women's Curling is very effective, I think.

It shows one of the official sponsor's products being picked up off the shelves, repeatedly, and conveys quite well that that the participants in the game (of curling) get quite wrapped-up/passionate about their sport, implying that 'we' should as well.

But you're right. On the whole I despise 'screaming' in general.

That's ALL that kids seem to do these days - girls and boys, at the tops of their lungs.

They must get 'it' from somewhere. Maybe kids are listening to radio.

Last edited by DeepTracks (February 27, 2017 8:27 am)

February 27, 2017 9:03 am  #3

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

I do occasionally tune into Classical FM - mainly for the serenity when I'm in heavy traffic 

Fred Locking's traffic reports are loaded with serenity, right up there with Jody Thornton's on newztalk 1010.    Do you agree that traffic reporters have some of the most serene voices on today's radio?

February 27, 2017 11:47 am  #4

Slogan suggestion for Fred & Jody:    Southern Ontaro's favorite traffickers