sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2017 11:49 pm  #1

Why Is This News Feature Airing On Both ’RB & Global?

I almost never watch Global News. For some reason, their style just doesn’t appeal to me. But I turned on their noon show Friday during a spot break on the other stations, and I was surprised to see a pre-taped segment called “Touchdowns and Fumbles,” in which anchor Jeff McArthur was quizzing Bob Reid of Veritas Communications about the PR aspect of certain stories in the media the past week.

What’s weird about that? CFRB runs the exact same segment every Friday at 11:30 AM, also called “Touchdowns and Fumbles” and also featuring a debrief with the very same Bob Reid. It’s actually the longest running segment on the station going back more than a decade and even pre-dating Jerry Agar, on whose show it currently airs.

My question: how does Corus get away with essentially running the exact same feature, with the exact same guest, when it would appear to be a Bell Media property? Unless Reid owns the rights to it, in which case I assume he could sell it wherever he wants, I can’t quite fathom why Bell would let its competitor in essence steal the bit from them, even though it is a different medium. Why wouldn’t CTV want it for themselves or at least try to keep it away from Global?

I find this rather strange. Anyone have any info about this odd duplication?

February 19, 2017 6:39 pm  #2

Re: Why Is This News Feature Airing On Both ’RB & Global?

RadioActive wrote:

Why wouldn’t CTV want it for themselves or at least try to keep it away from Global? 

It was Valentines week, and Jeff McArthur is a LOVE MACHINE